Chapter ~ 19

~ Chapter 19: So Begins How We All Die ~

Nim is more excited to see me than anyone else. Which is sad, because she doesn't understand the weight of the situation, of course neither do the people who should also be glad to see me alive and well.

"What are you talking about, Smoke?" Mom demands looking so exasperated and tired. She rubs wearily at her eye.

"There's an army marching here."

"Yes," Tempest sighs like I'm a very stupid person. "We know. Fifty Demons." What happened to us being sisters? She just seems really dark and absent all of a sudden. Can she really still be mad at me for what happened back in Woodmoor?

I shake my hands, flexing my fingers out and feeling ready to toss the table. "No." I groan. "Well, yes. They're coming too, but from Nysos. There's probably five thousand more - Goblins and Demons - coming from Myth. The entire country is in ruins and burning."

The Dwarf, whom I was given the name of Ryn, stutters in shock. "Five thousand. That's enough to take out the entire continent."

I nod in agreement, but they all seem hesitant to believe me. No, they don't believe me. Even though they have the decency to look shocked, they don't believe me.

I groan again and scratch at my head. I need to take a shower soon, not only am I filthy but there's blood in my hair - which is gross. "Where's Nyt? He'll believe me."

"Coming down the stairs." Nyt's voice carries from the hall. I wait for him to enter and then raise my eyebrows in expectation. Nyt frowns at me, staring hard and then steps back. Now he's shocked too, but at least he believes me. "That's more than fifty."

I sigh and fall back into the only chair in the whole room. "Yes, Nyt. Fifty is only about 0.1% of what that is."

"So..." Mom starts, seeming to believe Nyt - which says an abundant amount about her faith in me: her daughter - to relay information correctly. "What do we do?"

They all look at me like I knew they would and I look across the table to Damitri, who's been in silent consideration this whole time. He smirks at my arched eyebrow and leans against the table, still looking at me. "We need to draw Darcy out and kill her fast." They turn to him.

Tempest shakes her head. "No one will be able to survive her voice."

Damitri nods. "True. But they can." He points between Nyt and I. I understand that she can't control me that way, but... I frown at Nyt. He's staring straight ahead. While his body is still here I promise you his mind has vanished.

"No." Mom shakes her head furiously. "She's not going in there."

I scoff. From not believing me to being over-protective is ridiculous. "Nyt and I were already planning on going in, so this just moves our plans along."

"You're not going in there." Mom says sternly, banging a fist on the table. Nyt jumps out of his daze.

"Don't worry, Allied." He says calmly. "I'll keep her from getting killed."

"Killed is only the best scenario." Mom spits. Well, I roll my eyes, thanks for the love Mom. "What about captured? Tortured?"

"Mom." I growl, the Alpha voice resounds around the room along with my frustrations. "We're going."

I stand and leave the room, nothing more to be said. I head upstairs looking for my bag. I find it two doors down from where I slept all yesterday afternoon and this morning away.