Chapter ~ 18

~ Chapter 18: Ready or Not, Here I Come ~

"Nyt, you look..." I search for the correct word, but can't seem to come with much. "Interesting."

Nyt huffs a scoff, "And here I was expecting an insult."

"Still want one?"

"No, I'll live without it, thank you."

I nod and take a chunk out of the cookie, it's good; gooey. Kind of like Nyt's head right now as he holds it under the running water of the large sink trying to get the yolk out of his hair.

No, I didn't do it.

I just didn't stop it either.

The cook looks rather pleased with herself, her arms crossed and a haughty smile twisting her lips. I'm at all sure what Nyt did to her in the past, but apparently it warranted an egg-bath. She came in and nearly fell over from how fast she froze two steps into the room, and then she chucked the mixing bowl full of egg yolks in her hands, it landed beautifully on his head. I already figured Nyt knew it was coming and just didn't stop her, but that doesn't stop me from leaving the room quietly chuckling.

I climb the stairs from the kitchen to the back hall and nearly get trampled by a frantic Filly. I grasp her shoulders so she doesn't fall and she sucks in a harsh breath, looking very pale. I mean, paler than normal.

"What's wrong?" I ask, squeezing her shoulders when she tries to twist away.

"They're here." She mutters.

I have to readjust my grip as she again tries to get away, clamping her eyes shut tight. "Filly." I say sternly. Her body stills, reacting to the commanding tone of an Alpha. I didn't realize I still had that one. "Who's here?"

Her eyes snap open, fear blazing in her light-green orbs. "Demons." She whispers.

My hands fall in silent consideration, but, whether still under the influence of my tongue or finally calm, Filly doesn't move.

I turn from her and walk from the back hall into the foyer. Deathly screams echo around outside the door, sending shivers through my body. My sword is leaning against the pillar to the living room. My bow beside it and my quiver still strapped to my back. I holster the blade, the light shying from its darkness. The bow is lighter, but to me it's stronger.

I notch an arrow and breathe deeply, I can sense the closet Demon and its coiling magic that rivals mine in darkness but not in power. It is climbing the steps to the house in the form of a scared old man. The soul-fusing Talpa opens the door and my arrow flies, the painful shaft ripping through its eye socket and killing it instantly. Its barely slumped to the ground before I'm outside. My mind and body work together, calculating what is enemy, where it is, and how quickly I need to strike. Cai's mind hums along with mine and I feel him join the fray on the outskirts of the village.

My arrows fly, nearly with a conscience of their own, taking down Demons in horrendous acts. My death blows, though, are clean compared to the mauled creatures of Red Village the Demons have attacked. I faintly recognize the head of the Dwarf that had helped Filly and I. My jaw clenches along with my resolve. I will not lead the Band of Misfits, but I will join them and I will end this war, one way or another.

 I will not lead the Band of Misfits, but I will join them and I will end this war, one way or another