Chapter Eighteen: Confession

Everyone stays in complete silence after what I just said. Yes, if the timing is correct today is my birthday, but I am not rejoicing.

"But that's the least of our worries," I say hastily. "Let's get out of this room!"

"We can't," Mine hisses, crossing her arms, "The exit has some sort of barrier on it. None of us can break it."

"Those chains I were in were draining my power," I mumble. "So it is very likely that now that I have my full powers back I can break the enchantment."

I walk up to the entrance and put my hand up, which instantly begins to get sparked by blue lightening. This is the same pain I felt when I tried to hold Sunlight for the first time so it is bearable. I narrow my eyes as a crackling sound erupts and seconds later the sparks on my hand begin to cease.

"Let's go everyone," I say, turning around to see dumbstruck looks on everyone's faces, well, everyone except Mikou's.

We then exit the room and pace up a spiral cement staircase. It is then that I realize that the room we were in was the same room where Zero was on the brink of Level E and where he bit me for the first time. I instantly begin to think if he was alright, along with my beloved sister Yuuki, Scarlet, and Nathan. I believe they are all fine, but I have no idea what Kagura has done on their end the past week.

I begin to see the glow of the moonlight and we are free. I hush everyone by bringing my index finger to my lips and we all tiptoe to the corner of the building and peek over the side. There I instantly see Kagura and Morishique looking upon my sister, Zero, Scarlet, and Nathan, who are all on the other side of the gate.

"They won't die!" I hear Yuuki exclaim, clenching the bars of the gate tighter.

"Dearest Yuuki," Kagura says sweetly before taking Yuuki's throat in her palm and making me enraged, "there is absolutely nothing you can do to help them."

"Sakura--" Mikou began to whisper before Kagura starts to speak once more.

"Especially when your precious oneechan will die before your very eyes!"

I suddenly hear the sound of a sword being unsheathed behind me. I turn and dodge it quickly. However, I feel something wet ooze down my cheek seconds later. I hiss under my breath and look behind me only to see Morishique holding a katana that looked vaguely familiar.

"Isn't this pleasant?" Kagura asks happily. "The same Vampire Hunters sword that killed poor old Haruka will now kill his own kin as well!"

"Sakura!" Yuuki rasps.

"Get out of here!" I exclaim. "We'll regroup later. I promise!"

Scarlet and Nathan are the first to run. Yuuki stays in her spot until Zero whispers something to her and she took off. Zero and I lock eyes before I see the faint glint of something silver in his hand. I smirk and run towards Kagura, avoiding the fact that Morishique is on my trail. Kagura grins evilly at me and as I feel the wind rush from behind me as Morishique prepares to strike, I feel the sensation of cold metal on my hand. I whip around and shoot a bullet from Bloody Rose directly at Morishique. Both his and Kagura's eyes go wide as the bullet goes right through Morishique's abdomen.

I grin, "Thanks, Zero."

I hear Kagura hiss under her breath and say coldly, "Morishique we have to tend to your injuries; I won't lose my one and only loyal subject. I will see your demise soon, Sakura Kuran. All in due time."

In the blink of an eye, Kagura and Morishique are out of sight. I hiss under my breath but then sigh in relief. I walk up to the gate and easily open it. Without realizing it I instantly wrap my arms around Zero. Seconds later I catch myself in the act and unwrap my arms from his abdomen, taking a few steps back as a precaution.

I giggle nervously before holding Bloody Rose out in front of me and saying sheepishly, "Guns aren't really my type."

Zero smiles slyly and takes his weapon back. He puts it inside his jacket before saying, "Glad your okay."

Awkward silence occurs for a few seconds before I rub the back of my head and say, "W-we should go catch up with the others."

Zero nods his head and we proceed in the direction we saw Nathan, Scarlet, and Yuuki take off in. Again, silence occurs. However, it was broken when I gasp slyly as I realize Zero entwined his hand into mine. I look up at him and notice that his face was straight. I squeeze his hand and when he looks down at me he smiles. I look away hastily, obviously blushing a little.

"So.... did Kagura keep you guys busy? You know.... while the Night Class and I were missing?" I asked nervously.

"Yeah. The campus is now littered with Level E vampires," Zero says. "Yuuki was really worried about you."

"I was worried about her as well," I reply. "Actually I was worried about all of you."

"I feel honored," Zero jokes. "I can proudly say that out of the whole Night Class you were the one I was worried about the most."

I look wide eyed at Zero and I notice him looking at me with a reassuring look. Before I have the chance to respond I hear a high pitched yell and I looked over to see Yuuki running towards me at full speed.

"Oneechan!" she exclaims, knocking me to the ground and wrapping her arms tightly around me. "I was so worried about you! Are you hurt?"

"I'm okay, Yuuki," I coo, feeling a few drops of water land on my cheeks. "You don't have to worry about me anymore."

When I get on my own two feet again I notice the Night Class walking towards us. I rush up to them and wrap my arms around Mikou. Within seconds I let go and say, "There you guys are. I thought you got lost."

"No," Mikou giggles. "We were just trying to find another way to get over the gates."

"You left Sakura--" Yuuki starts, but I quickly silence her by putting my index finger to my lips.

"It's okay, Yuuki," I say. "Besides it wasn't their fight to fight."

"Mikou," Zero says sternly. "I think you have some explaining to do."

Mikou quickly looks away and I notice the Night Class looking at each other with a confused look on their faces.

"What's going on?" Mine asks.

"Mikou," I mumble so he can hear me, "is it okay if I tell them?"

A few seconds pass by before Mikou nods slyly.

I look at the Night Class with a stern look on my face.

"Promise me this: you won't hate Mikou after you hear what I'm going to say. Okay?"

The whole Night Class nods in unison and I take a deep breath.

"Mikou is Kagura's older brother."

Everyone has a dumbstruck look on their faces but then they realized the resemblance between them. I personally thought that the Night Class would become enraged but they all look so calm.

Mikou finally speaks, "You're not mad, are you?"

"Why would we be? You probably thought we would hate you, which is what I, personally, would think as well if I were you," Naomi coos.

Naomi wraps her arms around Mikou and he looks behind her to see the rest of the Night Class smiling reassuringly at him.

"Thanks guys," Mikou says with a smile.

I smiled as well. Mikou is finally free of the one thing holding him back.