Chapter Fourteen: The Ball

Enjoy this extra long chapter! ^-^

When I enter the ballroom I'm instantly wowed. Kaien did a very good job preparing for the Masquerade Ball in such little time. Not to mention the ball is a huge success! There are countless people here, humans and vampires all coexisting. It really does bring a smile to my face. I think I worried for nothing.

But I can't stop worrying. I should keep my guard up just in case.

I can't even grab a glass of water before I get requests to dance. I don't feel like dancing right now, so I turn them all down. I see the sadness in all the faces of the Day Class men who asked me. It really does sink my heart a little to turn them all down. But really, I don't want to dance. I just want to spectate. I'm sure I can have fun if I tried but this is the first event where both the Day Class and the Night Class attend. As Dorm President of the Night Class, I need to make sure nothing suspicious happens.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one with my eyes in the sky tonight. Vampire Hunters are supervising the ball at all times. You can see one at every pedestal on both the first and second floors. Zero is also at a pillar. Why is he keeping watch?

I see Yuuki dancing with Kaname under the crystallized chandelier. A smile crosses my face as Yuuki stubs Kaname's foot. I could see the apologetic look she has while Kaname just smiles. He's used to it, she did it all the time when we were younger.

I see white hair out of the corner of my eye. When I turn my head I see Mikou coming over to me. He too is holding a wine glass with pink liquid in it. Why is he coming over, when he can be enjoying the ball?

"You look like your having a grand ol' time." Mikou says sarcastically.

I roll my eyes under my mask. "I'm just an extra set of eyes, that's all."

Mikou sighs. "Sakura, the Vampire Hunters are watching this thing like a hawke. You don't need to act like your on duty. Just go out onto the dance floor and have some fun."

"You should go out and have some fun. Someone's checking you out." I wink.

Mikou looks over and finally notices Mine looking starstruck at him. The second he turns his head she turns away slightly blushing.

"I'm not leaving until you dance with someone." Mikou grins.

I sigh with defeat. "Fine, I'll find someone to dance with. Now will you just go and dance with your damsel in distress?"

I give Mikou a little push into the crowd. He looks back at me with a look of "oh no you didn't" on his face. He must not believe me, but I never tell a lie. I will find someone to dance with. But I won't choose someone random.

I suddenly jump, nearly spilling my drink, as a hand touches my shoulder. After my body stopped shaking a little I turn with a red face to see Zero, snickering at me.

"What the hell was that for Zero?!" I hiss. But I can't help it, I giggle. To be quite honest it was a little funny.

"I knew you'd laugh at it." He says.

"Yeah, laughing at nearly having a heart attack!" I wink. "Haha."

I notice Zero looking behind me. I turn my head slightly and see Kaname glaring at him. Why does Kaname hold such a grudge? That incident that happened with Zero happened a long time ago. I'm fine, I forgive Zero because it wasn't his fault, can't he understand that? I guess not.

"Zero, don't mind him." I hiss. "I won't let him lay a finger on you again, ok?"

Zero looks wide eyed at my remark. I've just promised him to protect him from my brother, who is always ready to start a fight with him. Zero then takes my hand suddenly and I look at him. He has a smile plastered on his face, which I rarely see. Zero wraps his arms around me and I don't even hug him back, I'm too shocked.