❝oh my disney❞ » chapter nine

Mulai dari awal

         (And then, like I said, I didn't actually like Will. In that way, I mean.) 

        After a suitable amount of stuttering, he chimed in. "Alice, I get it if you don't want to. You don't have to try and spare my feelings," he said, and I could hear the hurt in his laugh. 

         Crap. Say something coherent, Alice... "No - no! It's just that I-"

         Will didn't listen. "I already get what's going on - you don't have to explain it to me. I should have guessed it earlier. I hope you two are very happy together," he replied, his voice turning slightly cold. I could hear that he was disappointed - but what was I supposed to do? I didn't want to go out with him - it wasn't my fault that he liked me, was it? Okay, so I flirted with him once - and okay, so I didn't exactly fend him off when he made it painfully obvious that he liked me. Still, he seemed to be having a bit of trouble being obvious about things right now - because I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

         My mouth hung open, confused. "What? Who? Will, you aren't making sense."

        "Don't play games, Alice. You know you like him, and he likes you. I'm stupid to think that you'd like me over him. Isn't it like, every girl's fantasy to be with him?"

        "Will, I've gotta be honest, I'm completely lost in this conversation right now."

        "Good night, Alice."

        "Will, wait!"

        And he hung up. I climbed into bed and tried not to think about it - the more I worried about what work with him would be like the next day, the less sleep I would get. I found myself slipping away into sleep with ease, and woke up a few hours later to the sound of something outside, tapping at my window. My head shot up quickly, and I stared at the moving shadow behind my curtains, my hands shaking. I snatched my cell phone from my bedside table and dialled 911, my finger hovering over the call button readily as I got out of bed. My lip trembling, I grabbed my frying pan (I'd accidentally brought it home with me after work, a force of habit after carrying it around with me all day) and walked slowly to the window, hoping that it was an oversized bird or something, and not a masked murderer ready to jump inside my bedroom.

         (What a perfect night to be home alone.)

        The tapping on my window continued, and I shakily unlatched my window and drew back the curtains in one quick, swift motion, hoping that I could knock out the burglar before they even had the chance to bound into my bedroom. When I saw the surprised expression of the redhead in green sitting on my windowsill, I almost screamed at the top of my lungs. "Don't shoot! It's just me," Max whispered, holding his hands up in surrender.

        "What the hell, Max?" Now I was glad that I was home alone - I could scream at him without waking anyone up. "You almost gave me a heart attack!" And how exactly would I shoot you with a frying pan? "What are you doing here?" I asked annoyedly, my heart still thumping in my chest.

        "You never got a chance to say what you were going to tell me," he replied with a smile. "I couldn't sleep until I found out. I also may have had something that I wanted to tell you, too - but the security guys showed up, and..." he admitted, trailing off. "Can I come in? It's kind of cold out here," he asked, shivering slightly as a gust of wind blew past. 

        I rolled my eyes, stepping out of the way so that he could climb inside. "You are seriously the biggest idiot I know," I grumbled, trying to hide an amused smile. "How did you even get up here?" I asked, peering out the window and looking down at the ground below it - it definitely wasn't an impossible trek, since there was a space of roof outside my window and nearly a billion ways to potentially sneak up, but it was still strange - even for Max.