26

My fists clenched deep into the sand as I used the last of my strength to haul myself out of the water. I didn't make it far before my arms gave out and my face slumped heavily into the soft surface beneath it. Somewhere along the line my tail must have split in two, because now the tide was lapping gently around my knees.

I swear I could've fallen asleep like that, but just as unconsciousness was beginning to take me, a pair of tired hands pulled me farther onto the beach.

I groaned as those hands let my body fall slack again, and moments later, the other person collapsed somewhere near me. Too utterly exhausted to voice my muddled thoughts, I settled for peeling my eyes open to identify the man who'd pulled me away from the waves.

Jay. Right.

From what I could see, Jay laid on his back, limbs outstretched as he enjoyed the feeling of an unmoving, flat expanse of ground. 

I didn't have enough strength to lift my little finger, but I willed my eyes to stay open for just a bit longer. Passing out now would leave me vulnerable. There was no telling what we'd find on this island.

Jay turned his head to see me, and I only sent him an exhausted smile as our gazes met.

"Sleep, Elizabeth," his voice was weak, but at least he had enough energy to get words out. "I'll wake you if anything happens."

I slowly nodded before letting my eyelids droop closed. I was asleep before I could even suck in another breath.

-----+------+-----

I was drawn out of my slumber by a soft shaking. I mumbled an incoherent jumble of words before settling back into sleep.

"Elizabeth," Jay's harsh whisper pierced through my consciousness, "Wake up."

I peeled my eyes open to see Jay sitting up beside me. The air was dark now, but the pale light of the gibbous moon illuminated the beach and made Jay's eyes shine like the stars above us. He wasn't looking at me though. His focus was towards the center of the island.

It was then that I noticed the subtle pulsation ripping through the air. I was suddenly wide awake, my senses straining for any scrap of detail they could find.

The sound was low and steady, like a heartbeat, but I knew that wasn't quite right. It wasn't a heartbeat. It was a drumbeat.

"I don't think we're alone on this island," Jay mumbled as his eyes scanned through the dark treeline.

I shook my head in agreement. Whoever lived here could be hostile. Cannibalism wasn't unheard of in the native tribes of this time period. Neither were sacrifices. A small shudder went down my spine at the thought.

"I think it's best if they don't know we're here," I whispered.

Jay nodded, still staring off into the trees, "I agree. We need to move, find some sort of shelter. I don't like being out in the open."

"Me neither."

I slowly stood and stretched my aching muscles. Sand sifted between my toes and I couldn't for the life of me remember taking my boots off.

Jay rose to his feet and handed them to me.

"Thanks."

He only nodded in response before jerking his head towards the stretch of beach to our left.

I walked beside him, stumbling every so often, but regaining my balance each time.

"We should look for fresh water as well," I said, my voice raspy and hoarse. I definitely needed to get hydrated.

Jay nodded, his eyes scanning the trees in a steady routine.

The sand shifted beneath my ankle and I stumbled to my knees, stopping myself with the palms of my hands.

"Come on," Jay whispered as he took hold of my upper arm and helped pull me back to my feet, "Shelter first. Then food and water."

I nodded, placing my hand on his shoulder for balance. I honestly just wanted to drop right here and give into my exhaustion, but I knew I couldn't. Instead, I kept telling myself that what we were looking for was just a little bit farther.

"Look," Jay pointed to an overhang of rock just up ahead. I felt relief flood through my body at the sight. I could lay down again. I could sleep.

After checking to make sure the space was unoccupied by any other creatures, I collapsed into it.

"Go back to sleep," Jay told me, "I'm going to walk a little farther down the beach to see if I can find a fresh water outlet. I won't go far."

"Okay," I mumbled with my cheek pressed into the sand, "I'll be here."

I saw him nod before my eyelids began to close, and I listened to the soft sounds of him walking away for a few moments before sleep took me again.

Sweet, blissful sleep.