22

The humidity was nearly palpable in the lower levels of the ship. Every lungful of air was thick and heavy. The stench of the bilge water grew stronger as well, and I had to remind myself not to breathe in too deeply, lest I be overwhelmed by the smell of rot, mold, and the ever growing rat population.

My soaked clothes clung to me like a second skin, and every time the air shifted, a shiver wracked my body. I was utterly alone in the dark dampness of my cell, and I tried my best to keep track of the hours. It was difficult, however, to keep my mind from wandering.

In all honesty, the only thing that had kept me from breaking down completely was the gentle lull of the waves. They gave me a sort of solace that I desperately needed at the moment. A calm steadiness. A promise.

The sea would always be there for me, even when everything else was pulled out from beneath my feet.

I sighed, closing my eyes and letting my head thud against the wall behind me. My stomach gurgled in protest, but there wasn't a thing I could do to quench its hunger. Instead, I started to quietly hum a lullaby my mother used to sing me.

I couldn't even remember all the words, but the melody was certain. Ever so slowly, my consciousness began to fade.

Just when I was about to fall asleep, I heard quick footsteps approaching my cell. I looked out into the dimly lit passageway, but could barely see anything. I hugged my knees to my chest and waited for whoever it was to come.

I was relieved when Thomas came into the light.

"Thomas?" I asked before looking down at what he was holding.

"Cook's intent on lettin' ya starve to death. I snuck a few scraps from dinner."

I sighed in relief, my stomach gurgling again at the thought of food.

"Thank you, Thomas," I crawled forward and took the food from him. He gave me a small piece of tack and some more of that dried out meat. "Who's taking care of the children?"

"I am, Miss. I volunteered."

I smiled, "How are they?"

"Confused," he said, "They woke up and you were gone. Keep askin' when yer comin' back."

I nodded, chewing the meat as I returned to the wall.

"You best be off before someone catches you down here."

Thomas nodded in agreement and turned away without another word. Something made him stop, however, and with a quick glance over he shoulder, he said, "I don't think its yer fault, Miss. The Captain has it all wrong."

And then he was gone, and I was once again alone in my cell, except this time, I was chewing on mystery jerky and hardtack.

-----+------+-----

It was some time before I heard footsteps again. I pulled myself into an upright position and waited.

I'd half expected to see Thomas again, but it was Jay that stepped into the light. He pulled a barrel behind him, and took a seat just in front of my cell.

He watched me with a hard look in his eyes for a good while before words finally came to his lips.

"You're going to tell me the truth. All of it. And I'm going to decide whether or not you can come out of this cell."

"If I told you the truth, you wouldn't believe me."

He raised a brow, "Try me."

I took a deep breath, wondering where to start, or whether I should tell him at all. Given my circumstances, however, it was probably best for me to tell the truth. After a few moments of mulling it over, I realized that there really wasn't any good way to sugar coat it, so I began my story.

"I grew up in Boston, Massachusetts and was raised by my mother and father, John and Marianne Proctor. I had a good life there. Friends, family, a future.

"For as long as I can remember, we've lived near the ocean. My father liked to fish, you see, and my uncle liked to sail. I've always felt that pull to the ocean as well, and every chance I got, I was out there with them.

"When some of my friends and I graduated from school, my friend Danny decided to invite us to a celebration on his sailboat. He brought us right into a storm and lost control of the boat because he was too drunk to see reason. I tried to help bring up the sails, but was pulled overboard by the anchor. Then I... died."

"I still do not see," Jay said as he studied me through the bars.

"I- I'm from the future, Jay. I died in the year 2008 and woke up in 1779."