twenty-four | first draft

Start from the beginning

Without uttering even a goodbye to his friends, he's making his way through the crowd to get to her. As if sensing him, she turns, her eyes locking with his and a smile lighting up her face. She doesn't have a chance to greet him before his lips are on hers, his hands holding onto her waist and pulling her closer to him. When he pulls back from the kiss she can't do anything but stare back at him breathlessly.

"I love you," he says suddenly, a short laugh following as he stares into her stunned eyes. "God. I really love you."

She doesn't say anything, though a smile tugs at her lips. Just as she thinks to speak, he goes on. "Maybe it's weird that I've said it so soon, but if having cancer has taught me anything, it's that you can't wait. You have to do the things you want to do and say the things you want to say. And I just had to say that I love you."

"Me too," she says, eyebrows pulling together as she realizes what she's said. Cooper tilts his head, a quiet laugh passing his lips as his hands remain on her waist. "I mean, I love you. Also. Oh my God, somebody please shut me up."

He leans down, placing another quick kiss to her lips before wrapping his arms around her shoulders. Her head rests gently on his chest and she's thankful that he can't see the embarrassing smile on her face. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she lets out a content sigh, happy to have a moment of bliss amongst all the chaos.

Cooper eventually pulls back, reaching for her hand to replace their previous embrace. With a bit of distance between them, he takes this moment to let his eyes rake up and down her body, a proud smile forming on his lips. "You look beautiful."

Ellie looks down to Cooper's tux, dark thoughts filling her mind of the next time she might see Cooper in a tux. Quick to shake them out of her head, she fixes him with a smile. "Well aren't you quite the charmer?"

"I'm serious, El. If I wasn't wearing such constricting pants, then you could see just how beautiful I think you look right now."

She's quick to catch onto what he's saying and playfully gasp at his crude behavior. "Do you speak to your mother with that mouth?"

"Are you asking me what my mouth does?" He lifts her hand, placing a gentle kiss to the back of it before shooting her a wink. "I'm sure you know the answer to that."

"You're gross. Stop talking." She laughs, attempting to pull her hand away from his, only to be pulled further into him. He wraps his free hand around her waist, leaning her back slightly as a smile plays at his lips. "We're supposed to be having a nice, formal, evening."

"You're right. Let's dance then." He begins swaying them back and forth, the sound of Ellie's soft laughs only encouraging him.

She wraps her hands around the back of his neck, her smile touching her eyes as she stares back at him. "I think we're doing the wrong kind of dancing."

He narrows his gaze, his grin remaining. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, they're playing Pitbull. It's not exactly a slow dance kind of song."

"Sometimes you talk too much, El," he says, ignoring her as he continues swaying them to a much slower song in his head.

She laughs, an embarrassed blush creeping up her neck as the partygoers spare odd glances in their direction. But still, she continues her slow movements with Cooper, trying her best to block out the heavy beat of the party song.

"Everyone's looking at us," she mumbles, leaning her head against Cooper's shoulder.

His lips twitch up slightly as he gives her hand a gentle squeeze. "When I was little, my mom would squeeze my hand a lot. One time I asked her why she did it and she told me that squeezing someone's hand means you love them.