Chapter 22

Natsu's funeral was beautiful. Everyone in Magnolia participated. The streets were lined with citizens paying respects to the beloved fire wizard. Without a body to bury, the wizards of Fairy Tail carried an altar with a pile of wood on it. The altar was made out of expensive gold. Dragon's and fire designs were carved into the sides.

Citizens of Magnolia bowed their heads, some cried, as the men of Fairy Tail carried the altar towards the cemetery. Leading the parade across town was Master Makarov. Behind him was the altar carried by Gray, Gajeel, Laxus, and Elfman. After them came Lucy, Nashi and Happy, followed by the remainder of the guild.

It felt as if the entire world died that day. The sky was gray with rain-clouds, though no rain poured. Everyone in Magnolia wore something black out of decency. The only piece of clothing that wasn't black was Nashi's white scarf with her name stitched in with pink thread. The girl refused to take it off, especially when the ceremony was commemorating her father.

The mages walked into the cemetery and went to the very back where Natsu's grave was. Makarov ordered the men to put the altar in front of it. Lucy, Nashi, and Happy stood off to the side. Lucy read the words on the gravestone over and over again.

Natsu Dragneel

? - 800

Loving nakama,

husband, and father.

We don't have to know what tomorrow holds. That's why we can live for everything we're worth today.

The words on the stone taunted Lucy. Did he think of this before it happened? He never knew what would happen to him the day before he died. He didn't know he would never see his wife alive again or that she was carrying his second child, and now he would never know the pain his family was going through without him.

Lucy snapped out of her thoughts when a bright light was held up to her face. She looked down at Makarov who was holding a torch. He lifted it up expectantly. To her reluctance, Lucy took the torch in her hand. She could feel the heat of the flame against her face. Lucy bit her lip thinking about how she would never feel her husband's loving warmth again. All she had left was a void of cold in his place. Lucy glanced down at her daughter who was staring up at her. Her eyes were glazed with unshed tears. Lucy took an uneasy gulp and placed the torch on the altar. The wood on the golden pedestal burst into flames. The guild watched the fire consume it. The flames flickered vigorously, almost like they were trying to reach out to the crowd.

Nashi stared at the fire longingly. It was so much like her father. So limitless, powerful, and free, but in the end, it too had to die. Sooner than is wanted.

The small child thought about this as the smoke and embers lifted up into the sky, slipping farther and farther away out of her reach.

Just like her daddy.

FAIRY TAIL

One week.

That's how long it had been since her father's funeral. Nashi sat in the middle of her bedroom, her stuffed dragon Igneel in her arms. She wore a white sundress with a salmon belt. She also wore maroon socks with brown flats. Around her neck was her precious scarf. Her hair was tied into two little pigtails.

The pink haired girl stared out her window blankly. Her normally vibrant brown eyes were dull and lifeless. She watched the birds fly passed the window and out of sight. She didn't have the initiative to do anything better than that. Most of her time had been spent this way, sitting and staring at nothing.

Nashi's sharp ears picked up the faint sound of footsteps in the hallway. She didn't move when the door creaked open.

"Nashi?" Lucy called out quietly. Nashi could see her reflection on the window. She looked a lot different than usual. The long strands of hair that were usually down in front of her were pulled pack and tied in a dark green ribbon. The rest of her mother's hair was lightly curled, sitting on her shoulders or against her back. She wore green shirt with sleeves that went up to her elbow. It had a dainty floral pattern, and lace on the sleeves. She also had on jeans and brown sandals.