Chapter 16

The entire basement shook as another thump came from the upstairs. Dust fell from the ceiling and onto the mages. Many were still sleeping peacefully after receiving the medicine Lucy, Juvia, and Cana so graciously went after. However, now the mages upstairs were doing whatever they could to get down there and kill everyone of them.

Happy clung to Lucy as another bang came from upstairs. He was just staring to feel better and Lucy couldn't be more overjoyed, but now they had bigger problems. Her, Happy, and whoever wasn't sick were huddled up where the guild master was lying.

"I'm sorry master," muttered Lucy, more dust falling onto her golden head, "I thought that I cold help. Instead, I made everything worse." An aged hand placed itself on Lucy's. Lucy looked down at her master who was staring at her with such love and admiration.

"You have nothing to apologize for Lucy. You did what you did for your family. I just wish there was more that could be done." He said, hand falling back to his side.

"I never thought this is how it would go down," said Freed, his head in his hands. Cana nodded beside him.

"I can't believe it ended this way." Everyone's heads dropped in shame. How could they call themselves the strongest mage guild in Fiore? How could they be bested so easily?

The thumping and banging was getting louder. Lucy could hear the door breaking from its hinges. She didn't think it was possible, but it clearly was. Fairy Tail was over. With no magic they were doomed. Lucy closed her eyes in fear, holding Happy like a lifeline. Lucy wished Natsu and Nashi were there.

Because right now, she was scared without them.

Maybe we can't help feeling scared alone.

Lucy opened her eyes at the sound of the familiar voice. She was sitting on the floor, surrounded by white. The basement, her friends, Happy, nobody was there! Except for one person.

A few feet away from Lucy was her husband, Natsu. He was wearing his regular one sleeved coat, however it was white with gold trimming. He smiled lovingly at her, his pink hair flying in the wind. He took a few steps forward, standing right in front of her. He took Lucy's hands in his own.

But we're all right here, together. We've got our friends close by.

He pulled his wife to her feet. She watched him in complete unbelief. Natsu closed his eyes and gently placed his forehead against hers.

Now there's nothing to fear, because we are not alone.

Lucy opened her eyes and once again found herself in the guild's basement. She searched around for a moment, wondering if what happened really did happen. Her eyes landed on the scarf around her neck.

That was right, she remembered now. Natsu said that long ago, on Tenrou Island. When she thought all was lost and all she could do was cling to him like a helpless child, he said that there was nothing to fear because they had each other. It was the same here. Lucy smiled and looked around at all her guild mates. She had every one of them along side her. She fingered the scarf on her neck, a loving smile on her face.

And I have you with me too, don't I Natsu? And I always will.

Lucy slowly stood from her seat, placing Happy beside Carla. The she-cat eyed her curiously.

"Lucy? Where are you going?" she said weakly. Lucy ignored her, walking slowly toward the door of the basement. Everyone in the group of healthy mages called for her to come back, but she did not. Her heart shook when another loud bang came from the door, but she kept moving forward.

"Lucy, what are you doing?" Lisanna finally asked. Lucy froze right in front of the door. She glanced at her family over her shoulder, all staring at her with worry. She smiled at them, for what could be the last time.