Speak Now

I watch him at the altar waiting for Jasmine to arrive and silently pray he's thinking of me, wanting me there instead of her. Soon after, I hear the very unoriginal wedding march began to play. I turned my head ever so slowly and quietly, to see Jasmine, in a purple gown, veil and train. I look back at him and is he actually, smiling? His eyes look to the ground but I looked deep into them before he dipped his head and I see a hint of longing but what for? Could it be for,....me? She goes down the aisle as slow as a snail but she still looks like the queen she was in middle school. The ceremony takes forever and, when the vows come I'm disgusted by what they're saying because, none of its real, well maybe for Jasmine it is but for Mark it's the biggest lie he's ever told. I hear the preacher say, "If anyone has a reason these two shouldn't be wed speak now or forever hold your peace".

This is my last chance but before I realize what I'm doing I say loud and clear "I object".

Everyone's looking around the chapel to see who said it but no one steps forward. Until two seconds later I walk slowly out of the bushes I was hiding in. Everyone, even Jasmine gasps but not Mark, he smiles at me mischievously.

"Mark I love you", I say while walking to the altar, "I have since the eighth grade, and I've stood by you through thick and thin. I love your smile the way you smile over the little small things, your intelligence you have the brain to tell someone there wrong and do so to your own self, the way my name sounds coming out of your mouth, the way we support each other even though, half of the time you don't know what I'm talking about but anyway, I've been your friend for years, stood by you through all of the ups and downs in your life and I love who you are inside and out".

Mark walks briskly, almost excitedly from the altar towards me and cups my face in his big tan hands. He wipes the tears from my eyes with his soft, hot thumbs and softly kissed me in front of Jasmine, his and her family.

The thing I loved the most about that day was when he said, beautifully, "I love you Sarah"

-inspired by Taylor Swift song "Speak Now".