Chapter XVIII

PART ONE

"So first things first, we need a place to learn." Hermione declared as the two stood in the corridor of the seventh floor.

"Professor Dumbledore had mentioned that you have a natural talent for Legilimency, so for your first assignment try to think up a classroom for our lessons," she began.

"We need to be prepared to learn all areas of magic, keep that in mind and  walk past the door three times." she commanded. Alice was surprised to hear Dumbledore saw some sort of magical potential in her. She was nervous though that she would mess up the first assignment Professor Granger gave her. She thought back to the lessons Severus had given her about focused concentration and the techniques he gave her to form a clear image of intent in her mind. Severus said she had grasped the exercise quite quickly, she thought it must have been from all the practice she had closing off her mind from the terrible memories and experiences she had growing up.

"I'll give it a shot," she said optimistically setting the books down on the ground and began to focus her mind on the room.

'A classroom with everything I need to learn magic, a classroom with everything I need to learn magic, a classroom with everything I need to learn magic.' She thought with no distractions walking past the wall void of a door. By the second time she walked passed, she began to feel the presence of the room, as if it was an entity itself. The connection made her even more focused on the room and what she wanted and by the final walk past she was greeted with a door coming into formation.

"Brilliant," Professor Granger broke the silence while Alice just stood there, staring at the door in amazement.

"Well let's see how you did, it won't wait around all day," she said picking up the pile of books from the ground and walking quickly towards the door towards the room Alice had just made appear. She finally woke from her state of wonder and opened the door to reveal a gorgeous classroom filled with everything the two of them could have possibly needed and then some.

There was a large circular wooden desk in the middle of the room with a few chairs scattered around it. Against the walls were shelves filled with books of all subjects, cauldrons and other school supplies and a heightened level of open space for duelling. From the walls hung velvety drapery in rich multicoloured jewel tones with patterned rugs of all sizes layered on top of each other like a collage on the dark but smooth stone floor.

"Wow, you did an exceptional job," Professor Granger praised.

"It has everything we will need and quite a lovely charm to it don't you think?" she asked me.

"I'm happy with it!" she said with a polite smile.

"You should be. Well, we must be getting started," Professor Granger started towards the desk set up for her in the back left corner of the room and began to make herself at home, pulling out more books from her enchanted bags. The last item was was a picture frame. She looked at it with a loving gleam in her eyes and set it on her desk facing her chair before she pulled out a scroll from her bag and came over to the large work table.

"Here is how I have laid everything out" Professor Granger began while passing me a scroll with the a calendar of every lesson, readings and assignments.

"So ideally each term we will cover two years, and then of course you will take your O.W.Ls at the end of Term 3 with the 5th years." She continued to explain.

"The goal is that after this year, you will be able to attend your seventh year in normal classes. So hopeful you will pick up on the early stuff quite quickly so we can spend longer on more difficult magic and prepare for the O.W.L examinations. As you can see from the schedule you will have exams for each year in each subject so that will be so I expect you stay on top of all your assignments and readings because we do not have the time for you to fall behind." She continued while getting her notes organized.