-ˏˋthirteen:pushing itˊˎ-

If looks could kill, the look I was giving my mother would set her on fire. She had the biggest smile on her face as she looked back and forth between Shane and me and I just wanted to disappear.

Was she really setting me up on a play date because she thought I needed another freak like myself in my life?? Is there some sort of law that says that all the freaks just have to be friends?? I didn't know this guy and just because he didn't fucking talk like me did not mean that I would like him!

I just stood there, my hands balled into fists and clamped at my sides. I went to automatically nibble on my lip ring and just stare off into space, disconnecting myself entirely from this situation.

"Frankie, are you listening?" my mom asked. It had become a skill of mine not to listen, so I hadn't heard a single word she said. I shrugged. "Ruth was talking, Frankie, don't be rude."

"Oh, it's fine," Ruth smiled, waving her hand. "Shane does that all the time. They can't help but zone out."

The way she said they as if this stupid deformity made us one person made me want to attack her. I stole a glance towards Shane, wondering how he felt about the situation.

"Please go on, Ruth," my mother said, "and be polite and listen, Frankie."

"Well, as I was saying," Ruth said, "Shane wasn't always this way. It started just a few years ago and I could never understand why. He just suddenly became very disconnected from everyone and now I don't get to hear him speak. Your mother tells me you've always been this way, Frankie, so I thought if anyone could understand Shane it would be you."

I cringed when she called me Frankie. She should not be getting this comfortable with me. Just because I was somewhat the same as her son, did not mean she knew me at all.

"Ruth and Shane can't stay long, but why don't you take Shane to your room?" my mom suggested. My mouth hung open and I went to staring at her again. I hated to be alone with anyone and just because this guy didn't talk would not make it more bearable! "I know you two probably won't talk or anything, but just get comfortable."

I couldn't do anything to object. Ruth was already ushering Shane out of the sofa and my mom followed through by pushing us both towards my room.

"Ruth will be leaving in just a few," my mom said at my door. "So just get acquainted." She closed the door behind her. I stood in the middle of my room with my back towards Shane, sincerely trying to figure out how the fuck my mom thought this was a good idea. I wanted to be a total ass hole, but if anyone deserved that, it was my mom and Ruth. Shane didn't seem so comfortable either, so I couldn't really take it out on him. I took a deep breath and turned around to face him.

He stood there, hands tucked in the pockets of his jeans, looking down at his feet

He stood there, hands tucked in the pockets of his jeans, looking down at his feet. His hair almost entirely covered his face when he had his head down and I could make out a Misfits t-shirt under his half-zipped hoodie. He liked good music, so maybe he wasn't all that bad. I cleared my throat and he quickly looked up at me. I gestured towards the chair at my desk for him to take a seat and he did so. Fuck, this was awkward.