Chapter 6

Your P.O.V

"So, why exactly do you need so many books again?" I asked, and he shook his head, his blue eyes clouded with annoyance before setting another very thick book on the already huge stack in my arms.

I hope my back holds up.

"Because, I don't have access to as many outside sources as you may think, and I need to know as much about the world and the religious beliefs as I can. I also enjoy reading, it allows me to relax." He said, and I smiled.

"Glad I'm not the only one." I replied, and he looked over his shoulder at me with a raised eyebrow, and I flushed.

"W-Well, I just mean that... when I lived in the maid barracks, I was one of the only maids who used their free time to read while the others generally watched the guards in training as they exercised." I said with a nervous laugh, and he shook his head, but even I could tell he was smiling a little under his mask, and that made me even happier.

That is, until he put another book on the stack, and I grew an irk mark.

"Well good. I'm glad to know that you have common sense." He replied, grabbing a book from the shelf and flipping through it.

"If only common sense was a little more common." I retorted, and I saw him smile again.

With one final book, he placed it on the pile, and my arms nearly gave out.

Then he sighed and grabbed the top three books himself before carrying them down the hallway.

"Master Zane! That's my job, not yours!" I exclaimed as I struggled to catch up with him, but because of the added weight, I was only walking a little faster than before.

"You can barely support the amount of books you have right now, and besides, we wouldn't want them to fall. That would only make more work for you to clean up." He emphasized the 'you', but I'll let it pass, seeing as how I'm his first friend.

"Alright then." I said, and I walked alongside him.

Hope you don't chip a nail princess.

-+~•~+-

When we arrived at his study, the two maids, whose names were Clary (blonde) and Peony (black hair), smiled at me and Zane.

"Good afternoon Master Zane." They simultaneously said before opening the doors for him.

He nodded and didn't even glance at them before walking inside, and I trailed behind him.

When we were inside, Clary and Peony shut the door, and I set the mountain of books on his side table, to which he set the three books he was carrying on his desk.

"So... do you ever travel to other regions?" I asked as I stretched the heck out of my back, earning a dozen little pops.

"Yes actually, but only once a year. I travel to Tu'la to negotiate with their king." He said, and I nodded.

"Are they really as they say they are?" I asked, and he looked at me in confusion.

"The mief'was. Do they actually have the ears and tail of a cat?" I asked, and he nodded in clarification.

"Oh. Yes, yes they do. They are quite an interesting culture. They also speak in third person. It's a little hard to understand, but you get it eventually." He said in response, to which my eyes lit up.