Chapter 10

Your P.O.V

"Morning' sir!" I announced as I opened Zane's door after he granted me permission to come in.

"Ah, (Y/N), so kind of you to grace me with your presence." He mumbled sarcastically at the sight of me.

"And you're welcome." I replied with a snarky attitude, to which he shook his head.

"Your list is on the chair right there." He said as he pointed to the leather chair that stood beside me.

I tilted my head to the side and looked at it, surprised when I didn't have to bring him more books or return them to the library.

"So, no books today?" I asked him. "I'm focusing on marking my maps today." He replied, and I sighed.

"Irene you're lucky. You get access to a library bigger than a house whenever you want. That must be awesome." I mumbled, and he gave a snort.

"It's not that great at all." He muttered, and I pouted. "No one goes in there, and as you said before, even if we did assign maids to clean it up, only the royal family has access to the books in there, so it wouldn't do much good." He finished with bluntness in his tone, and I sighed.

"Yeah I guess you're right. Sorry I rambled." I mumbled before standing up to leave, my mood crushed because of how I suddenly really realized that all I'll ever have is that rundown bookshelf and those old, torn children's books.

-+~•~+-

I swept around the study in an almost comfortable silence as Zane only flipped through the pages of his book. I was given time to think, and I thought about how kind Zane had been to me over the past few weeks as my friend.

Then before I realized it, my face was a light pink.

With a quick shake of me head, my thoughts dispersed and floated around until they vanished, leaving me with nothing to think about. That's when I noticed just how quiet everything really was.

I never knew silence could be so deafening.

I heard him let out a sigh before taking a deep breath.

"I... I thought about what you said earlier... about the library and how no one gets to use it." He muttered, and I abruptly stopped and turned to look at him, curiosity bubbling through my head.

"And the more I thought about it, the more I realized how big of a waste the library is. So I decided..." he mumbled, and I get myself getting worried.

Is he gonna tear down the library?! Oh no! That's awful! I can't believe it! And it's all my-

"Would you... like to be able to take books from it?" He asked with a nervous look.

-fault.

Huh?!

"I..." I trailed off as I processed what he just asked me. He wants to know if I'd like to borrow books from the library whenever I want.

My eyes grew to the size of saucers and a smile carved its way onto my face as I gripped he broom handle tighter.

"I'd love that! Thank you thank you thank you!" I exclaimed as my eyes glistened in happiness.

His face turned a little red as he stammered to start speaking again, "N-Now, don't get the wrong idea!" I tilted my head in confusion. "I only did this because I can't have my friend getting stupid and ditzy on me. I'd like it if you kept your intelligence at a certain level while we are still friends."