22: I Hate Knocking

Start from the beginning

  I was on the ground next to him before pointing to the corner. "Just around there. Steve dropped it in the grass when the horde found us."

  "So we can't trust Steve to score the winning touch down, can we?" Thor joked as we walked to the corner.

  I snorted, "He is-was- the quarterback of our high school's team." 

  Thor put his back against the alleyway as if to be stealthy. Yet he still talked in a normal volume of voice, "I played football in high school. Mostly just used to sack the quarter back."

  There was a growl and he crouched slightly, putting a finger to his lips. Bitch, you were the one talking. He took out his knife and just waited at the counter as footsteps got closer. Sounded like only one of them shuffling our way. Hopefully. A sneaker appeared before the rest of the body did. Thor immediately grabbed the body and shoved it against the wall, his knife raised.

  "Wait!" I yelled, staring at the zombie. It was Blake.

  Thor held him back with an arm across his chest. Blake struggled against his grip, gnashing his teeth and emitting a strangled growl. He looked just like the rest: translucent skin, blood-shot eyes, black blood. There was a giant chunk taken out of his shoulder, the bone of his clavicle sticking out beneath the broken flesh. Multiple holes scattered his arms and legs, a larger one in his stomach to make it into a dark, bloody mess. He wasn't the semi attractive guy that stabbed me in the shoulder due to lack of sleep and maybe a little bit of deep down evil. He was a literal monster now, nothing human left inside him. 

  "What exactly am I waiting for?" Thor asked, keeping his eyes on Blake.

  I clenched my jaw slightly, unsheathing my own knife, "Let me do it."

  He looked at me out of the corner of his eye. Slowly, he put his knife down and nodded his head towards Blake, using his other arm to keep him steady. I looked at Blake for a moment before taking my knife and putting it's blade into his right eye. His moving slowed to a stop and he went limp. I took my knife out and Thor let him go, making Blake slip to the ground.

  "Were you two close?" Thor asked me.

 I shook my head slightly, wiping my knife on my jeans. "Not exactly. Met him a few days ago and he put a knife in my shoulder because he was 'sleep-deprived.' Kind of glad he's gone, but I wouldn't have wished it this way."

  "And that other boy is his brother?" He stepped over Blake's legs and looked around the corner. "Is he taking it well?"

  "No idea." I followed his lead. "Haven't spoken to him since yesterday evening."

  Thor turned around the corner and waved me along. No signs of the horde from yesterday except for the bodies that were able to be taken down. The duffle bag sat in the grass, its contents spilled out next to it. Alcohol. Many bottles of it, some broken.

  "Why?" I asked, trailing behind him as he quickly went forward to collect the bottles. "Why was this so important to get? Its just booze."

  "Booze gets drained easily at times like these." Thor collected the salvageable bottle of booze. 

  That's a fine point. Troubled times make people drink to try to forget. It's probably not the best thing to do, but we can't really fix it. I walk over to grab a bottle of raspberry stout, "Mind if I take this one?"

  He just chuckles, "Yeah. Go ahead. We should drink sometime. I bet you would be a hearty opponent to  go up against."

  Nodding, I put the bottle in my backpack. "You're on. Just hit me up when you want to."

  "Deal!"

*****

  We made it back to the entrance of the hotel without anymore problems, which is very surprising. Usually, they TV show or the movie has bad things happen every time someone goes outside. But, no, we easily got the bag and went back like a recovery mission should be. As we approached the doors to the hotel, Thor stopped. "Thank you for helping me get the bag."

  I waved a hand, "No problem, man. Always happy to help." I then reached into my pocket and produced the dog tags that Ashley got. "Also, here. We found him at the humvee. He was already turned and tried to attack Ashley before I was forced to put him down. Ashley grabbed these from him since we couldn't take his whole body."

  Thor took the dog tags and looked at him with a pained expression. He clutched them in his hand and gave me a hug, "Thank you, Max. He meant a lot to me." We pulled away and there were almost tears in his eyes. Shit, they must've been really close.

  I patted his arm, "I'm sorry, Thor. I really am."

  Quickly, wiping his cheek, he smiled once more. "So, you want to catch up tonight? Maybe get some food and have that drinking contest?"

  I smiled back, "Sounds good to me."

  "Alright. 8 o'clock by the pool. There's a sky light and the stars are rockin!" Thor looked excited like he was just trying to focus on anything other than the fact that Shazam is dead. I feel that, honestly. I think all of this was to forget about my dad in the hospital.

  "Can I get into to the hospital? My mom said that my dad is sick. I want to see him."

  He grimaced slightly, "Uhm... Usually, we only let the workers go into room for sanitary reasons." He scratched his head slightly.

  "Okay, I get that. It's chill." I waved a hand to try to convince him that it was okay. "I'll just wait when my mom gets out."

  Thor looked like he wanted to help. He quickly took my arm and pulled me towards to the hospital, "Just stay close to me and it will be alright."

  Following Thor, I went through the doors of the hospital to see my dad and try to keep low to  not make people pay attention to me. As I walked behind Thor, I looked around at nurses buzzing around. Only a few of them looked at me, but they didn't really look like they were going to attack because I was infiltrating the hospital as a person who did not work there.

  I couldn't help but hear the Mission Impossible theme play in my head.

*****

Author's Note: Sorry I was dead for the passed like month. Vote and comment if you want! Thanks for reading!! Xoxo