Chapter 5: Following

I woke up in the morning on my balcony, the pillow that my head was resting on gave me the only comfort, unless you call concrete a comfort. Despite having loved seeing her last night, I was quite annoyed at Loveday. She just left me to freeze outside in the cold. I got up and ran a hand through my hair. Once I had finished my stretching, I walked inside my room to find not one, but two dresses that Loveday had left for me. I knew they were from her, due to the signature mark on one of the sleeves, an L, representing Loveday.
I examined them and thought. 'Mmmh, the brown or the red?' I asked myself. The brown one was lovely, but I decided to go with red. I put it on and it was extremely comfortable. I never knew how Maria could actually wear those big poofy outfits that she manages to put on.
I ran down to breakfast, well, to the kitchen to see Marmaduke and get a cookie.
When I entered he said some very strange words to me. ''She knows.''
''Who knows what?'' I asked obliviously.
''Maria, she figure it out.''
''What?!'' I asked half surprised, half concerned. This curse was actually more dangerous that it appeared.
''Yes, and, I do believe, Luna, that she planned to leave and left about thirty seconds ago.''
I knew Marmaduke, he would not lie to me, although it did startle me a bit that he knew exactly what time and when she left. I wondered if he knew where she was going.
''Do you happen to have any idea as to where she is going?'' I asked, stroking Rolf as he walked past me into the yard.
''Not a clue, but the forest would be quite a good guess. She ran out of here yesterday afternoon, complaining that we were all insane.''
''Well, I have to go after her.'' I said and was about to run out when Marmaduke stopped me.
''Luna.'' He said and I looked back. He was holding a tray. ''Cookie for the road?'' He offered and I gladly took one, running out straight afterwards.
I followed Maria's trail, she wore seriously strong perfume, and it appeared that a few of her socks had fallen out of her bag every once in a while, the last one at the entrance to the forest. I skimmed the forest and my eyes landed on a particular red-head about to enter a cave. She walked into it, and I couldn't help but follow her. I knew to keep out of sight. I saw a creature appear behind her, and I was about to warn her, when the creature took off it's mask. It turned out to be Loveday, but Maria still let out a scream when she saw her. I let out a sigh of relief. Maria followed her into the cave and I decided it best to just wait for her to come out. Once in a while I would hear muffled voices, until Maria and Loveday finally walked out. Neither of them saw me. They went to go sit on a hill top and spoke that's when I saw Maria lift the book out of her bag. She reached for the page holder and took the key out. I smiled triumphantly as I knew my little deed would save her a lot of trouble. They began to walk away. I followed them, almost forgetting to keep my distance, then I heard Loveday cry out,
''I'm sorry, I just can't go back there.''
Maria called her name countless times, but I knew it was hard for Loveday. That was the De Noir fortress afterall, and she hadn't been there in years.