Chapter 1: Maria Arrives

''Your cousin is to arrive soon. Why don't you go see to that, Luna?'' My dad, sir Benjamin Merryweather asked.
I nodded. Being the only female in the manor, I was the smartest. I knew about the curse, who was going to stop it, it was my cousin, Maria. I wasn't going to tell her though, it'd be best for Maria to find out on her own.
I walked over to the front gate, where the coachman was busy unlocking the gate I looked past him and saw the carriage.
A head popped out of the window. I knew it was her cousin.
There was someone on top of the carriage though. I didn't recognize him. He leaned down and grabbed Maria.
I started panicking, as soon as the gate was open I ran forth, toward the carriage.
I felt like such an idiot, I knew better than to just run straight into danger, common sense. I had to think quickly, they weren't gonna get away with this.
There were three of them, they hadn't seen the one of me, yet.
The carriage started to move, and one of them spotted me. He was tall, wearing a hat.
I put her fingers to her lips and whistled, calling for Rolf.

''Looks like someone thinks your hot, Robin.'' One of the other two said.
A few seconds later, Rolf, was at my side, and barking madly at the three boys.
''The Demon dog, run.''
''Aww, Rolf just wants to play with your dead bodies.'' I called after them, and they ran even faster.
I giggled and stroked Rolf. I knew he was a lion, and the bravest one that there was.
''Come on boy, let's go meet that cousin of mine.''
We went to where the carriage was parked. Two passengers were out already. Wait, two?
'Do I have two cousins?' I thought, one of them looked a bit elderly.
''Uncle Benjamin.'' The red head called.
''Ahh, Maria, and who is this?''
Benjamin completely dismissed Maria's hand, but I gladly shook it.
''Luna. Nice to meet you.''
''Pleasure.''
''This is Miss Heliatrope, my...'' Maria stopped as she did not know what to call her.
''Come, I'll show you around.''
I led them all around the castle, telling them what was out of bounds, private, and off limits.
''Oh, your room will be down the hall and to your right, Miss Helitrope.'' I said.
''Ahh, yes, well come on Maria, I'm sure your room will be right next to mine.''
''No, her room is in the tower.''
''Ah, yes, very well.'' Miss Helitrope said with a disgusted expression on her face.
''But, Luna...'' Maria started.
''Perhaps you'd like to inspect your room before you turn your nose up at.''
We walked up a flight of stairs into a very dusty room. I saw a picture up on the wall. I smirked, knowing that it was the sign of a new Moon Princess.
'' In there. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.'' I said before I left her to inspect her room.
That used to be my room when I was little. I had then been moved to the top-most floor, the room was sort of a dissapointment compared to my previous one, but I learned to live with it. The up-side is that it's the only room in the house with a balcony.
I walked the long way to my room, making sure to stop at the kitchen and grab a snack.
Marmaduke was the one I relied on the most. He was a like a father to me. Sir Benjamin has always been very distant, ever since my mom died and he realized that the women he was marrying a few years later, was a De Noir.
I opened the small door and ducked down to enter it.
''Ah, Luna. I was wondering when you'd pop by. Haven't seen you since breakfast.''
''Hi, Marmaduke.'' I greeted in fake sadness.
''Oh, Luna, what ever is the matter?''
''It horribly horrible.'' I said and faked a sniffle.
''So horribly horrible that a hot cross bun with warm cream couldn't fix?''
''Oh, that should do the trick.'' I said happily.
''Why, you little trickster. Now run along and eat up. Baked it this afternoon.'' He called after me as I exited the kitchen and walked to my room.
Tomorrow was going to be fantastic. Dad was going to let Maria and I go riding. I was hardly ever allowed to do that, by myself at least. My dad would always make Digweed accompany me.
I set out the dress I was going to wear tomorrow and layed it on my dresser.

I knew that eventually my dad would get tired and leave Maria and I to continue riding on our on. I doubted that Maria could even ride a horse.
I smiled and lay down in bed. Soon enough Rolf came to join me. How he gets in is the one thing that I don't know in this castle. My door is always locked.
Oh well, I guess we all have our ways.