Chapter 1, Rented Cars and Radios

The western-style rock band was so loud,  Knot couldn't hear a word the already soft-spoken Wad said.  They spent the whole day helping Arthit move to his new apartment.  They shared laughs and beers with Arthit,  Kong and Aim,  P'Fat was there too.  Only after they stopped working and over-ate,  did the alcohol really start to hit them.

Kong and Arthit seemed like they might be in a kissy kissy mood,  so the small team of helpers left,  knowing that the couple were likely anxious to christen the new apartment.  The very obvious Arthit,  already pink in his cheeks,  quite happily closed the door on them as they exited.

On the sidewalk outside Arthit's building.  They all looked up the seventeen floors to see his balcony.  They had only made the elevator ride to ground level and the lights were already out in the apartment they'd just left.  P'Fat commented,  "I'm so jealous,  you know what those two are doing now,  right ?"  A round of chuckles went through the small group as they congratulated themselves on their correct assumption.  It was decided,  after a long and slurred conversation that Knot and Wad would take their own cab as they planned on going for "one" more drink.

Knot had his arm around Wad,  as the group said their goodbyes and shared hugs,  Knot told Aim that he and Wad would pick him and his luggage up the following Friday they would give him a ride to the University parking lot where all the buses would gather.  The seniors trip would leave in the mid-morning and if he was interested he could sit with them for the long ride.  Knot teased him, punching his shoulder,  "You're not allowed to take your girlfriend."  Aim turned a bit pink in the cheeks,  "I know that,  and why are you telling me this now?'  I'll see both of you during the week at school."  Knot,  a little tipsy himself,  laughed, "Oh yeah,  right."  Shaking his head, "Duh."

.............................

A good part of Knot's day was keeping Wad's spirits up.  He laughed with everyone else but Knot knew under the smile was a great deal of pain.  He had come to know Wad better than he'd ever imagined.  They had become truly good friends.  He really liked Wad.  As he got to know him more,  he found there just wasn't anything to dislike about him.  All around he was a good guy.  Kind and polite,  a proud uncle to his new nephew ChaiSon,  a devoted brother, an excellent student,  and sadly Knot learned over time,  Wad was deeply lonely.

Knot totally understood why his friend Prem had fallen for him.  Seeing how much he missed Prem was hard to watch.  Wad tried hard to hide it from everyone but inside he was aching the most difficult kind of ache.  The kind you feel when the person you love more than anything is far away, and there's no hope of seeing them anytime soon.  Even more painful is that when Prem does have a chance to come back,  it will likely be for only a short time.  Making for another hurtful goodbye,  full of tears and all the difficulties of letting someone go.

He leant in super close to Wad's ear, "Are you alright ?"  Wad raised his beer sloppily and tapped Knot's.  Nodding,  he mouthed the words:  "I'm good."

His gaze fell blank again as he turned his head back towards the band.  The permanent look of sadness was still engraved on his lovely face.

Knot was sure no amount of coaxing would help tonight.  With the booze involved cheering Wad up wouldn't be easy.  It was already a tricky task on the best days but,  tonight it was unreachable.  Knot knew that the upcoming trip on the weekend was going to be a difficult one for Wad,  he'd be returning to the place that he and Prem had conceived their relationship.  

Knot was determined to help him through it.  For a short time Wad was claiming that he wouldn't attend but Knot and Kongpop both pressured him,  he was on the hazing team after all and it was important.  Wad eventually gave in.  "As long as you stick with me Knot,  I'll be ok."