Chapter 1: Delmarva

June stood there, staring at the dark sky above her.
She could smell burning.
Too much of it.

"Run!" She heard a voice yell.

She started to lift her leg, which felt very heavy and immovable.
The girl looked down to see her legs trapped in
a deep pit of mud, but her attire had changed completely, from her normal sweater and jeans to some orange dress that she couldn't explain why it was so familiar to her.

She hated dresses.

She looked at the person repeatedly screaming the same verse to her.

"Run!" The blue woman screamed.
Over and over.

Surrounding June was a huge wasteland of burning buildings and people laying on the ground, on second thought, they were dead.

Her gaze had fixed on the pile of wood that lay burning in the town square, a couple figures ran away from the pile, but before she could make out the figures, she woke up.

June sat up in an instant, grounding herself to her surroundings, which upon looking around, seemed to be her own home.
She looked up at the only light source in the room, which in fact was the television. Playing one of those dumb shows that only aired in the middle of the night.
The clock read 3:27, which she could tell was a.m. from the lack of light outside her window.

'What was that dream though?'
The dream had seemed so familiar to June, she felt eerily comforted by the presence of the blue figure in her dream, yet she could never make out who that was.

Suddenly, her eyelids grew heavy, and upon blinking, light was shining through the window at last. The clock read 7:43 and she had felt like it was still 3:27.

The girl got up off of the air mattress that lay on the floor, and walked over to what seemed like the only other furniture in her bedroom. She yawned as she pulled out a t-shirt and jeans, exchanging them for the tank top and sweatpants she had wore to bed.

June quickly took her phone off of its charger to see that she had gotten texts from her friend Chloe.

'Hey, are you free today? I'm gonna be babysitting my little brother at West Park today if you wanna come.'
'Oh yeah I'll be there around nine if you wanna meet up.'

Chloe was her best friend, and promptly her only friend, since all of her other contacts were her sister's friends and her family members.

Peeking up at the time, the clock read 8:02, she pocketed her phone and went downstairs only to be greeted by her older brother making breakfast for himself in the kitchen.

"Hey June! I have news for you!" He exclaimed as he pulled out a box of cereal.

"I swear to god if you tell me that I'm adopted again I will punch you in the throat and hope you die." June said before he could finish his routinely joke.

"Jeez, and I thought I was grumpy in the morning." He teased.

June pushed past her 'brother' and poured herself a cup of coffee, putting what seemed like twice the amount of sugar in the cup as she did coffee. After grabbing her beverage, june walked out to the living room, clicking on the news channel on the TV.

"Opening of the new american history exhibit at the Keystone state museum takes place today at 1 o'clock." The news anchor exclaimed with a smile. "Our media reporter, Micheal has the details at the museum." The camera switched to the camera covering the footage of a middle-aged man standing in front of a tall building. "Thank you, Nancy. Now, were here with Ms. Maheswaran at the museum. Now, can you give us any details about the exhibit?"