05 | pinwheel

05 | pinwheel

a face-on spiral galaxy distanced 21 million light-years away from earth in the constellation ursa major.

THERE'S A SMALL moon tattooed on Lucie's left wrist. She'd got it last year, when she was sixteen, figuring out that it'll give her an alluring celestial vibe. Albeit right now, it just looked like a stain of black smudged ink that she'd clumsily dropped on herself.

She was content with it when it was first embroidered on her wrists. She looked at herself in the mirror for full forty minutes, every now and then playing around with her hands and smiling at the moon. Everyone had told her that it was absolutely enticing until when she actually reached school, and two out of five people asked her why she was openly smiling at the blotched ink on her wrists.

"It's a tattoo," she'd explained, tilting her wrists. "You see it like this—it's a moon."

That time, everyone had just nodded with a small 'oh', but after that, Lucie had continuously looked at the tattoo and eventually, started thinking of it as an ink blemish too.

She'd considered covering it with makeup like she covered up her numerous freckles—all over her neck, arms, face, though she still thought of it as alluring—slightly sloppy, but alluring. Everyone else is just extremely doltish, she'd assumed.

She now drifted her mind away from her tattoo, looking at Grace who was sitting right beside her, writing something down in her notebook. "What are you doing?" Lucie asked her, keeping her head on the table.

"Geography," she stated with a small grin. "Can't believe that I'm saying this—but I'm doing geography."

"Why?"

"Because you're boring and keep staring at your ink stain—oh sorry, moon tattoo, and there is literally no one else around who I want to talk to."

"Well," she said, raising her head,"I'm done staring at it now—you can stop doing Geography—" her voice was cut off by the clangorous ringing of the bell. She heard Grace sigh beside her, as she picked up her books and tried to settle her unruly hair.

When she came to think about it, Lucie could have easily skipped school today. School was shit today—with everyone just running from one place to another, with this chaotic ardor roaming around the school and clogging up Lucie's brain. She didn't feel weak or anything but, she could easily just faint right now. It wasn't like Lucie was usually aware of things around her, but today, she wasn't aware of them at all.