The Journey's Beginning

"All hands to stations!" Arrows command bellowed out on the deck, and the crew scrambled to get to their respective posts. Nearly bumping into a few grumpy creatures, I searched the deck for a place to get out of everyone's way, but the only such place was by the wheel, and it seemed crowded enough so I just stayed put.

Jim, not too far away, gazed intrigued at the organized chaos that ensued in preparation for liftoff as Arrow yelled out more commands. "Loose all solar sails!" More scrambling, and some crew had perched on the posts, loosening the ropes to unfold the sails that glowed as they began to absorb the solar energy.

Hearing a grunt from behind me, I turn around to see that Jim had accidentally backed into a line of crew members pulling on a rope, who were not too pleased at his lack of special awareness. As the ship rose higher into the air, I began to make my way towards the edge to see the port in all its glory, when I got a rude surprise at the lack of gravity that had suddenly taken effect. I let out a gasp as I tried to control myself so I wouldn't go over the edge of the ship, and another sound of surprise when the gravity had suddenly gone back to normal. Being unprepared and off-kilter caused me to fall not very gracefully and land more so on my hands and knees.

After trying to get over the initial shock of the sudden change in gravity, I realized a hand was under my arm and helping me up, which was again followed by another small shock at the fact that it was Jim who was helping me. Amelia barked her own orders to set course for the voyage, and I could subtly hear her saying something to Arrow, which he responded with an order of his own "Take her away!"

Widening my eyes and grasping for Jim who wasn't by my side anymore, I panicked and hurried to the set of ropes he had begun to climb (was he crazy?!). I held on tightly to the ropes, and I braced myself for the acceleration that was sure to knock me off my feet had I done otherwise. A moment later, the ship took off with a boom from the thrusters as I held on for dear life. Jim didn't seem at all phased by the takeoff and was now hanging off the side of the ship with only one hand holding onto the ropes while the other was by his side. When things seemed to even out, I loosened my hold on the ropes and leaned over the side of the ship to take in space in all its glory.

It was absolutely breathtaking.

Not long after, the sounds of creatures drew my attention to a herd of very large animals, the sheer size and number taking me by surprise. There had to be hundreds of them, each easily the size of the ship or larger. I ducked, startled as one had passed over the top of the ship- even though there was no danger of a collision. When I finally looked back up, I could see Jim chuckling, looking at me with an almost mischievous curiosity, which earned him a glare in return.

On the other side of the ship, I could see Doc leaning over the edge to get a picture with his oversized camera of the passerby creatures. "Oh my word, an Orcus Galacticus!" He exclaimed. He received a warning from Captain Amelia, but it had landed on deaf ears. As one of them approached, he took the picture, but not without getting covered in disgusting slimy goop. I laughed quietly at the amusing situation and turned my attention to the now disappearing Orcas.

"Ah, 'tis a grand day for sailing, Captain," Silver sauntered over to the Captain after emerging from the depths of the galley post-launch, "and look at you, you're as trim and as bonny as a sloop with new sails and a fresh coat of paint," He smiled and politely bowed, taking his hat of his head and placing it over his chest as he did so.

The confusion of what exactly Silver has said must've been evident on my face, as apparently I had an audience to the show my expressions were putting on, and apparently the crew found it entertaining from the snickers they had muttered under their breaths.

Amelia however, wasn't having any of his gibberish compliments. "You can keep that kind of flim-flammery for your spaceport floozies, Silver." Well, apparently the cook has a reputation. I opted to keeping that thought in the back of my mind as I observed Silver scooping a Captain Amelia Morph into his hat.