A Cyborg

As we crossed the ship to the galley, I couldn't help but feel wary. I would be lying if I said I didn't agree with the Captain. This crew was giving me a strange vibe, and something about them seemed familiar, but then so does everything else, so it can't be too important. Amidst the chaos of preparing for the voyage, several of them had stopped to gaze at me, then talk with each other, making me nervous.

Why were they looking at me like that?

I walked a little closer to Doc and Jim as we descended a set of wooden stairs to what I'm guessing is our destination. The smell of cooking food filled my nostrils, and it reminded me of Sarah's cooking at the inn. Right now, feeling a tad homesick for that seemed appropriate.

"Oh, that feline! Who does she think is working for whom?" Doc complained.

"Oh yeah? Well it's my map, and she's got me bussing tables," Jim replied.

"Um, excuse you? It's our map. I found it with you!" I commented, stepping closer to stand my ground. We clearly know that I have some unknown relation with the same person we got the map from in the first place, which should put me in a position of ownership as well. I was going to let him have a piece of my mind, but a giant rock hand from Arrow on my shoulder had made the words disintegrate in my throat.

"I will not tolerate a cross word about our captain! There's no finer officer in this, or any galaxy." Well, talk about dedication. Arrow's loyalty to the captain intrigues me. They seem like they're friends as well as fellow officers. It must've taken some time to develop that kind of mutual respect.

A casual whistling had brought me out of my inquisitions, and a few seconds ticked by before I realized the sound was coming from the kitchen. With the terrible lighting and misty haze from steam billowing out of a large center pot, a silhouette was the only thing that could be made out.

"Mr. Sliver?"

The silhouette acknowledged Mr. Arrow. "Why, Mr. Arrow sir. Bringin' in such fine and distinguished guests to grace my humble galley. Had I known, I'd 'ave tucked in me shirt," he greeted with a chuckle. The sounds of machinery clanked and whirred, and it wasn't hard to realize it was his machinery. What once had been a large man was half machine, the right half all donning various contraptions that which resembled an arm, a leg and an eye.

Jim gasped quietly. "A cyborg."

I had shuffled between Jim and Doppler, and it seems as if he had not seen me yet. Jim had gently pushed me to keep me behind him. I knew what he was thinking.

"May I introduce Dr. Doppler, the financer of our voyage." At Arrow's introduction, the doctor stepped forward.

Mr. Silver had pointed a laser eye at the doctor, which trailed downwards rather invasively. "Love the outfit, Doc."

"Well, thank you. Um...love the eye." Doppler made a futile attempt to wield the beam away from his suit, but the cook paid no mind, so he opted for a different distraction and pulled Jim forward. "This young lad is Jim Hawkins."

I stood there feeling rather exposed, as my shield had been ripped from my grasp by the self conscious doctor. I shuffled back behind the doctor as Jim was acquainting himself.

"Jimbo." The cyborg held out a mechanical hand to the boy, a quite dangerous one at that, before he realized his mistake and flipped the contraption to a much less harmful version. Jim still wasn't amused. "Aw, now don't be put off by this hunk 'o hardware." Mr. Silver had resumed his cooking and was preparing ingredients, along with a joke of cutting his hand off, which no one found funny. "These gears have been tough getting used to, but they do come in handy from time to time."