Unknown

Visions.

Visions of people, but their expressions blurred, and their features unfamiliar. Visions of places, but what or where they were was unknown. Voices, dancing around, impossible to match with their owners. Nothing was clear. Not yet.

You were surrounded by darkness.

And then you woke up.

You felt like you were drowning. You quickly sat up, coughing up water like it was poison into the grass beside you, throat burning and raw and aching. There was no point in trying to talk; no sound would come out.

What does my voice sound like?

The question was startling, as much so as being doused in ice cold, and settled heavy in your chest and lungs.

Why can't I remember?

Thinking about it now, you can't remember anything. Not where you came from, how you got here, where here even was. Not your past, recent present, nor any plans for the future.

Not even your name.

You started to panic, but something in the back of your head told you that would only make things worse. Everything in your world had become unknown.

What you do know about here is that it's dark, it's cold, and you're alone. Completely and utterly alone with only the stars to keep you company. You were on grass, next to what seemed to be a dirt road. The ground was wet, and the air smelled like it had just recently rained, which explains the water.

How did you get here?

You were tired, overwhelmingly so, limbs heavy and sore from exertion you couldn't source, and you felt like you could sleep for a month, but a raging headache eliminated any chances of getting any sleep. You might not remember much, but you do know that it wouldn't be a good idea to fall asleep here anyways. First things first, you need to find someplace to stay.

But before that, you needed to find anywhere but here.

You stood up, stumbling a few times, like you were learning to walk all over again. After a few tries, you eventually got the hang of it, walking along the side of the road, with footprints in the mud beside the path being the only sign left behind.

You're not sure how long you'd been walking, but it was getting more difficult the more steps you took. With muscles tense from shivering for so long, but not entirely because of the cold, you couldn't manage much farther. Just before you gave up walking, you finally saw something in the distance.

A lit creature-drawn carriage was slowly coming down the road. You shuddered a sigh of relief as it got closer, eventually slowing to a stop beside you as you waved it down with a shaking hand. The one driving was a dog-like man, wearing spectacles and fancy clothing. Compared to your dirt and mud covered rags, you couldn't help the twinge of insecurity.

"Hello. What's a young lady like you doing out here at this hour?" He asked.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but could you tell me where I am?" You asked. Your voice hurt with pins and needles, but at least you were still able to talk.

"The planet Montressor. I was just on my way home."

"Oh, thank you..." You trailed off.

"My apologies, I'm Dr. Delbert Doppler. Are you from around here? I don't believe I've seen you around before." Doc said.

"I- I'm not sure." His brows furrowed slightly with confusion.

"Well, then who might you be, young lady?" He then asked.