Roman: Tension

They woke up early the next morning, and walked outside to teleport back to Mistral.

Neo looked distracted by something, and Roman noticed she was concentrating, probably talking to multiple people at once.

Emerald came out, smiling at a now relaxed Neo, which made Roman wonder what their conversation was about.

Roman? Are you okay? You look worried about something.

He started at her voice, then smiled. "I'm fine. Just worried about you."

She blushed. I'm okay. Emerald helped relax my mind. Let's go to Mistral.

Roman nodded. "If you're sure."

Neo put a hand on his shoulder for a moment, then withdrew, opening her parasol and preparing to teleport.

She gave the same little curtsy, and she, Roman, and Emerald all disappeared.

They appeared again in the town outside of Haven, and Emerald began to change her appearance, assuming the form of Jade, the raven-haired, blue-eyed girl she was so fond of.

Neo changed her own appearance, also assuming the form of a raven-haired girl with green eyes. Roman recognized this form as soon as she put her hair up in pigtails. She gave him a small smile as Emerald began to change his image.

His hair turned brown, but his eyes stayed the same green and he kept his outfit.

Emerald sighed. "There. We should get going before someone sees us."

Neo nodded, connecting with Roman. You know, I like you with brown hair. Not as fun as orange, but definitely subtle.

I'd like you in any form, Neo, but black hair does suit you.

She blushed, hard, which meant Roman had said the right thing. Emerald noticed, rolling her eyes, but thankfully didn't say anything.

They came to the shop earlier than expected, and sure enough, Emerald detected a gun underneath the shopkeeper's apron.

She walked sweetly up to him and smiled. "Hello! I was wondering if you had seen a thin woman with red hair walk through here? Maybe with a hooded cloak?"

The shopkeeper said something that Roman couldn't make out, but Emerald seemed to understand. "I don't know who you're talking about. I've never met her."

The old shopkeeper's hand went for the gun under his apron, but Roman sidled up to him with a smile. "Sorry, was she bothering you?"

Emerald sighed. "I just asked him if he had seen our friend. I didn't think I was bothering anyone, but if I was..." She gave him another sweet smile. "I'm sorry."

The shopkeeper sighed as well. "I'll ask this again. Are you affiliated with Sienna Khan? Because if you are...I'm going to have to remove you from this shop."

Roman laughed. "Sienna Khan? Why would my teammate be associated with the leader of the White Fang? If we were in league with them, don't you think we'd be in hiding?"

The old man took his hand off the gun. "I suppose so."

Emerald kept smiling as Roman spotted Neo creeping up behind the man. "Have you seen the person my friend here is talking about or not?"

There was an idle threat in Roman's voice, and the shopkeeper detected it. "I...yes. She came in here a while ago, asking for... Jade?"

Emerald bounced on her toes excitedly. "That's me! Great! Where did she go?"

"Last I heard, she was staying at the inn. You might want to check there first."

While the shopkeeper was talking, Neo grabbed a vial from behind the counter and nodded to them.

Roman nodded back, but before they could reply, a voice sounded from the shop doorway.

"There's no need for that."

Emerald spun around, her shocked look being replaced by a happy one. Roman could tell the illusion was faltering. "Xana! Good to see you!"

Sienna Khan stood in the doorway, hood over her face and intimidating as always. "Jade. Let's go, you promised to give me a tour of the town."

Neo walked around the edge of the counter, the vial tucked away and a smile on her face.

Once they were out of sight and range of any citizen, Sienna dropped the act. "Emerald. Do you have the dust?"

Emerald froze, but as she was about to respond, Neo put a hand on the thief's shoulder and held out the vial to Sienna.

The White Fang leader examined it for a few seconds, then smiled. "Good. Tell Salem the Fang will be ready with the weapon in a week's time."

Emerald nodded and Sienna's gaze flickered over to Roman. "Torchwick. Good to see you and your partner again."

He nodded, and Neo connected with him again. Is she still making you uncomfortable?

She's just intimidating, that's all. Whenever she's around, it adds several layers of tension that really don't need to be there.

Neo's laugh sounded in his head. She's intimidating to me a little more than you. I don't understand how some people can be that tall.

And here we go! What's the weapon the White Fang has, and how does the dust relate to it? Also, we need to see Sienna Khan in Volume 5 so I can see if they are a boy or a girl. For now, they're a girl. See you Bookworms in the next chapter! c: