Chapter Fourteen - Libby

Start from the beginning

I love you, sweetheart, and Dad sends his best wishes too.

Love, Mommy.

Well, that wasn't so bad. Writing back a quick reply to assure them that yes, I am alive, I shut down my computer and take a sip of my now warm coffee. If only this contentedness would last for the rest of the day.

"Hi!"

Looking away from the amazing decor, I spot a young woman about my age from behind the front counter with a welcoming smile. I kindly smile back, briefly glancing around the cafe in search of him - Liam. When I conclude he's not here yet, I approach the woman and gaze at the mouthwatering pastries inside the glass domes. My stomach grumbles but I ignore it.

"Hi," the woman says again, giving me a blinding smile. "May I help you?"

I look behind her at the menu written in beautiful calligraphy on the chalkboard, weighing my choices quickly so not to leave her waiting. Spotting her name on the chef's hat she's wearing, I say, "Well Jenny, I think I would like to have a plain black coffee, please." She smiles at me, seeming to like that I called her by her name.  She enters the order in the cash register, asking if I wanted anything else.

But right as I'm about to say no, an elder man comes up behind me and says, "Yes, me and this young lady will split one of those strawberry things you gave me yesterday." She smiles kindly at the man, seeming to know exactly who he is, but I can't help but feel utterly confused and helpless. I look at her for help, but she just enters the price into the cash register and announces the total.

Speechless, I hand her the money, but the man beside me gently pushes my hand aside and pays for me. I open my mouth to say thank you, but he just says, "You can pay me back later." What the hell am I getting into?

    Jenny hands the man the plate with the strawberry shortcake slice on it, and hands me my coffee. When he's walking off to a table, she leans over the counter and quietly murmurs to me in a kind voice, "It's okay, he's a sweet man. He won't hurt you."

    Grateful for her assistance, I hand her a few dollar bills as a tip and head over to the table that the man awaited me at. He gives me a tender smile and slides the plate to the middle of the table. "You want a piece?" he asks, his voice gravelly and worn.

    I purse my lips and shake my head, quietly murmuring a "no thank you." The man suddenly places his hand on his chest, his mouth dropping in horror. I pause, waiting to see if he's okay, but he just says, "My dear, I'm so sorry. I forgot to introduce myself." I relax back into my seat, smiling at the old man's dramatic ways. "I'm Tim Bentley, but most people just call me Bentley." He offers me his hand.

    Sliding my hand off my lap, I gratefully take Bentley's hand and give it a gentle shake. "I'm Elizabeth Earnest, but most people call me Libby." He chuckles and I smile, glad for this man's pleasant company. Sighing, I decide to be outspoken about my feelings. "I'm not going to lie, sir, but I was admittedly about to have a nervous breakdown when you ordered for me." He raises his eyebrows in shock, but then I say, "But now that I see that you're sweet and not trying to kidnap me, I guess I can forgive you."

    He chuckles again, the sound seeming hard to come out, but noticeably very happy. He sighs, patting his stomach, his mouth still forming a smile. "Have you changed your mind about the cake?" he asks, and I kindly shake my head no. He shrugs, and pleasantly takes the plate into his possession. "Your loss, my dear."

    I smile, but the absence of the person I was really suppose to meet here constantly claws at the back of my mind. He's still not here. Trying to keep myself from getting upset, I look back at Bentley and see that he's almost cleaned off the plate. I now see why Jenny knows him so well - he must come all the time.