The End - Libby

The End - Libby

I'm staring in the mirror in Liam's bathroom, door closed, eyes wide open, mind racing.

Why did I let this happen? I'm only going to get hurt again.

My phone buzzes then on the tiny counter and Graham's face appears on the screen. "Here we go," I murmur to myself, and I pick up the phone. "Hello?"

Nerves are bubbling in my stomach until I hear his voice. "Hey!" His voice is chipper and relaxed and I sigh in relief.

"Hey, Graham." I sit on the closed toilet seat and stare down at the rug sitting in front of it. It has cartoon fish on it - probably a Jeremiah pick.

"What's up, buttercup? How are you feeling?" he asks, always the one with endless questions.

A small smile forms my lips. "I'm okay. Just sitting in the bathroom."

"Did you make it to the hotel okay?"

I don't have the heart to tell him. Do I tell him? And for the first time in our relationship, I lie. "Yeah, I'm all good."

"Is it-"

"Hey, I'm really pooped right now," I interrupt, feeling only more and more guilty as the call goes on. "I'm sorry but I think I should go to sleep."

There was a small pause and I fear that he can see through me - he always can. "Okay. Goodnight, Elizabeth."

My heart stutters, and not just out of guilt. "Goodnight, Graham."

I wait until he ends the call when I finally turn my phone off. Maybe I should go to bed. Nothing will happen if I just go to bed.

Nothing should happen even if I don't go to bed.

I shake my head at my stupidity. Liam's moved on. I have, too. He's just being kind to let me stay here. Not because of anything else. I sigh and look at the door. He's probably wondering if I hit my head in the shower and died, I've taken so long.

I swallow the lump in my throat as I turn the knob, and when I open the door I come face-to-face with Liam. "Oh!" I jump, my hand flying to my chest.

His eyes are wide and I can tell that we are both caught in surprise. "Sorry," he says quickly, but when the rush is nearly over and we've both taken a few breaths, he says, "I was just coming to ask if you'd like some coffee."

My heart pounds hard in my chest and I lower my hand back to my side. "Sure," I sigh, the word coming out before I really thought about it. "Why not." A lopsided grin forms his lips and he starts walking to Jere's room. "Um...."

He checks over his shoulder and when he sees that I've stopped by the stairs he turns and looks down at the ground bashfully. "I, uh, actually already made it. I brought it to the balcony."

I quirk my head. "Isn't it cold?"

He chuckles nervously. "Yeah, didn't really consider that much." My heart continues to pound for this boy. "But there are at least 200 blankets out there."

"Pillows?" I ask, playing along.

"Four."

I laugh, the obnoxious sound bubbling out of me, and Liam just smiles broadly. "C'mon."

We tip-toe through Jere's room, and I notice briefly how he now has many Marvel action figures scattered around on the floor. Something drapes over my shoulders when I pause to open the sliding glass door and I wrap it snug around me. It smells like him.