Chapter Seven

1980
Five Years Later...
I graduated in 1978, as validvictorian. I left Hayvenhurst the night after coming back from the hospital, to live with Hazel and Jermaine. I haven't talk to Michael since. Michael went solo, and produced Off The Wall in 1979, with Quincy Jones. And yes, he and Tatum are still together. Me, I became a celebrity photographer, a wide known ballerina, author, and a wide known artist. I still thought about Michael every single day though. I moved out of Hazel and Jermaine's house in 1979, and got a big beach house on the coast of Calabasas. I love it here. It's so peaceful. I got the courage to go back to father's house and get my stuff. Luckily, he wasn't home at the time. I am now 20 years old, and Michael is 22. I had just grabbed the mail from the mail box, and went back inside, when the phone rang.
"Nyhelie Porter Speaking."
"Hello, Nyhelie?"
"This is she."
"It's Katherine."
My mood brightened at the sound of Katherine's voice.
"Oh my gosh, hi Katherine! It's been a long time!"
"Yes it has! I was wondering if you wanted to come over for dinner. We wanna see you!"
"Of course I will. Give me 30 minutes, and I'll be there."
I hung up. I took a shower, and put my hair in a high gelled ponytail, leaving the curly bangs out. I grabbed a white flower short sleeved crop top 2 piece dress with a pair of white pumps. I put on my beige sweater, and grabbed my tan backpack,and headed out. I got in my black corvette, and drove off. When I made it to Hayvenhurst, I was nervous. I rang the doorbell. A girl opened the door. Her eyes instantly lit up.
"Oh. My. Gosh. Janet! Is that you?!"
"Nellie!"
I grabbed her and pulled her into a big hug.
"Oh my gosh! I missed you so much Nellie. And thank you for my last birthday card!"
"You know I'll never forget my Janey Aney's 16th birthday!"
She pulled me in the house. Everyone was in the kitchen.
"Look who's here everyone!!!"
Everyone's attention came on me as their eyes widened. I was getting hugged left and right. Just then Michael and Tatum came through the door. He hugged everyone. When he saw me, he smiled wide. He no longer had an afro. He was a lot more handsome, than I remembered. He opened his arms. I ran into them.
"It's been a long time BabyGirl."
"It has Michael."
He released his grip, and I looked over at Tatum, who had an evil scowl on her face.
"Hi, Tatum! Long time no see."
"Nice to see you too, Nyhelie."
She said with bitterness and sarcasm in her voice. I was about to say something to Michael, but Janet pulled me over to talk to her.
Michael's POV...
Wow. Nyhelie looked beautiful. Her hair was longer, she looked healthier than she did 5 years ago. She was a little curvier, but still very thin. Her beautiful golden eyes still glowed. She hadn't aged one bit. I was surprised she was here. Mother must have invited her over. Typical. I forgot that Tatum was even here. Of course, she was jealous as always. I looked over at her.
"Please, at least try to be nice. You know how long I've wanted my old best friend back."
"Yeah, but baby, she just wants you to herself. What if she still has a crush on you?"
I ignored what Tatum said, because I knew deep down, I was falling in love with Nyhelie too. But I can let her know. I don't know why, I just don't want her to know. No. I love Tatum. And she was in love with me too. Right?
Nyhelie's POV...
"I can't believe you're still 16!"
Janet has always looked up to me since I've known her. She was shy, but if you made her mad, she would let them have it. She acted just like me. For the past 5 years, ever since I left Hayvenhurst, Janet would always sleep over and hang out. Whenever I hang out with Emma Jeane, I make sure I bring Janet along. Her, Emma Jeane, and Katherine are the ones I trust the most.
"Tatum is getting so much worse, Nyhelie! Michael is smart enough to decline her every time. And every time he talks about you, she always get jealous!"
Wow, Michael talks about me? Aww!
"Well, I don't know what to say Janet. He wants her, and she wants him-"
"But he loves you! He's just too stubborn to admit it. He misses you, Nellie. He talks about you all the time. He even beats himself up about what happened. He even thinks you're so beautiful!"
"Wow. I never thought I'd see the day."
"Yes, Nyhelie, you need to go for it!"
"I can't, Janet. I just can't."
Janet sighed.
"Okay, Nyhelie."
"Dinner's served!"
Janet and I ran downstairs. We walked in the dining room. Everyone was seated. I took a seat next to Katherine. Janet sat next to me. Just then, Michael and Tatum walked in and sat across from me. Great. Michael gave me a soft smile, but Tatum gave me the most evil smile ever. Man if looks could kill... we all ate, while everyone had their own conversations at the dinner table. I talked with Janet and Katherine, and Michael talked with Tatum. Occasionally, Michael was stealing glances at me, and I would blush really hard, and smile. Soon, everyone ate in silence. Everyone was involved in one conversation, but me and Janet was involved in our own. I stopped at half of a plate, and decided to go outside and get some fresh air. And plus, Michael kept staring at me.
"Excuse me everyone, I'll be outside. I got up and walked outside. It was so peaceful in Hayvenhurst. You could hear nothing but nature. I sat against the tree Michael and I first met at, and hung out at all time, and folded my hands in my lap. The wind began to blow, and I closed my eyes. It felt really nice to be outside right now. I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw Michael. I smiled.
"Hey Michael."
"Hey Nyhelie, is it alright if I join you out here?"
"Go ahead."
We sat in an awkward silence. Just like when we first met. Then Michael broke it.
"So, how's your life been? I see you in magazines all the time."
"Yeah, I have my hands in a lot of things now: ballet, art, photography. I loved your solo album. I have it in my car right now."
"Thank you. You take some good pics. And you do some good art."
"Thank you."
We sat in silence for a while. Then he spoke again.
"I really missed you, Nyhelie.i
"No you didn't."
He looked at me puzzled.
"I called for you almost everyday. Everyone said you were out with Tatum all the time. I even came to see you quite a few times."
He looked down in guilt. I instantly felt guilty. I don't like to hurt other people.
"Michael I'm-"
"No, you're right. I should've showed you I missed you. Can I at least have your number? Please I really want my best friend back."
I looked at him. Should I trust him? I looked in his deep brown eyes. They were full of sincerity, and guilt. I sighed.
"Okay Michael."
His eyes lit up. He grabbed me into a bear hug. I bust out laughing.
"Alright Michael. Come on, I'll get my card out of my purse. It's in the house.