Chapter Five

I was released from the hospital yesterday. I spoke not one word to anyone. People were worried but I didn't notice. These thoughts are burdening me. I can't sleep. I looked at the clock... 2am. I slowly lifted myself up from the bed. I slowly walked to my mirror and looked at the person looking back at me. She had bags underneath her eyes, and a small red mark on her cheek. She had a large chain of 25 stitches on her side, and a large bruise on her stomach above her belly button. Her leg bruise, was smaller, but it still hurt. I sighed. I needed to get my mind off of things right now before I cave in. I grabbed my ballet outfit, undressed and put it on. I warmed myself up, and then began to dance to Michael's unfamiliar tune that was stuck in my head.
Michael's POV...
I couldn't sleep. I was worried about Nyhelie. She seemed so distant and quiet ever since she got out of the hospital. She stayed in her room the whole day. I decided to get up and check on her. I got up quietly and put on my t shirt, and went to her door. I slowly opened it and my eyes widened in awe. She was doing ballet. She was so beautiful and graceful. I watched further, as she spun on one leg, and she got faster. But then she started dancing harder and harder. I could tell she mad. She fell to her knees, and burst into tears. She looked in the mirror again, and cried out in disgust.
"Why? What happened to you? Why do people hate you. What's wrong with you?"
I watched as a hot tear fell from my eye. I slowly walked in her room over to her, and held out my hand. She looked up and took it and flew in my arms. As she continued to sob, I wrapped my arms around her, and she began to sink to the ground taking me with her.
"Shh, shh, it's not your fault. It's gonna be okay. I'm here."
I began to hum the tune, and when I finished, it fell silent. She had fallen asleep. I picked her up and put her in the bed. I kissed her forehead. Just o was about to leave, she grabbed my arm.
"Please stay."
I sighed and went over to the other side her bed,a be laid down. She snuggled up to me.
"I love you, Michael."
My eyes widened. I looked at her, but she was fast asleep. I was surprised she said that. I don't know if I love her back. She still doesn't know I have a girlfriend.
Nyhelie's POV...
"Michael! Nyhelie! Get up for school!"
Michael and I both jumped up, but I winced in pain from my side.
"You okay? The doctor said you should get up like that."
"I'm fine. Good morning."
"Good morning."
Okay, what the heck did I do? Why is he acting so strange? He helped me up, and walked me downstairs. Everyone was already at the table eating. Mrs. Jackson saw me and smiled.
"Good morning, Nyhelie, how are you feeling?"
"I'm okay, thank you."
Michael helped me in my seat, and took his spot next to me. We all are in an awkward silence. After we finished, Michael helped me upstairs. I took a careful shower, brushed, my teeth, and put on the white dress, Mrs. Jackson made for me last week. I put on my laced socks and white converse. I grabbed, my camera, ballet outfit, and sketch book, and put it in my bag. I also got Anne Frank, the book I'm currently reading. I slowly made my way downstairs, and met Mrs. Jackson, who had my painkillers and water. I took them and hugged her softly. I met Michael by the door. He didn't say anything to me. We walked to school in silence. Since Michael didn't wanna talk to me, I decided to explore the nature. When we made it, I became nervous. We went inside, and Michael left me in the front. Wow. Okay. What was his problem?! I found the office by myself, and and the principal led me to my homeroom. She opened the door. I saw Michael, and gave him an evil eye. He turned his head from mine. You know what? I don't know what I did wrong, but I'll just be invisible. I have been my whole life.
"Class, this is Nyhelie Porter. She will be join you guys. She would've come yesterday, but for personal reasons, she joined today. Please be nice to her, and make her feel welcome."
With that, the principal left the room, and my English teacher came over to me.
"Hello Nyhelie, I'm Ms. Susan. You can take a seat in the back right there."
Ms. Susan was really pretty. She looked like she was from China, or Japan. She had short black hair. And a nice figure. She had a beautiful smile, and she walked gracefully. I already admired her. I walked to the back and sat next to a girl with short brown hair that was in a nice braid made into a crown. She was wearing a cute white, and pink striped long shirt with a panda on it, and black tights, with black converse, and laced socks. She had nice brown eyes, and had reading glasses like me. I looked over at her, and smiled. She smiled at me. She had a beautiful smile, and very adorable dimples.
"Hi, I'm Emma Jeane Robinson."
"Hi, I'm Nyhelie Porter. It's nice to meet you. I like your hair."
"Thanks, it's not as pretty as yours though. Is that your natural hair color?"
"Mhm."
Emma Jeane and I had a nice conversation, before school started. She was gonna be in my ballet, photography, and art classes. When class started, Ms. Susan had us take notes on how there are many ways to write a poem. Then we got our first assignment. We had to write a poem about anything. I was so excited, because English was one of my favorite classes. I love to write. It was one of my passions. I worked on my poem for the rest of the class. When the bell rang, I got up and waited for Michael, and Emma Jeane. Michael passed right by me. Okay, I'm started to get a little pissed off. Emma Jeane was the last one out.
"Nyhelie, why are you still here?"
"I was waiting on you silly!"
"Really?"
"Of course!"
"Wow! No one ever notices me! Thanks!"
"Of course! Wanna be friends?"
She smiled wide, and her eyes lit up.
"Yeah, of course!"
She gave me a large hug. We walked to our next classes together, and had engaging conversations. Sadly, everyday, she has leave at lunch time to help her mother. When lunch same, I went to my locker, and grabbed my duffle bag, with my camera, ballet stuff, and sketch book. I walked around, and my eyes widened as I saw Michael making out with another girl. She was pretty. She had brown hair, and brown eyes. She had a slimmer figure than me. My heart officially shattered. A tear fell from my face. Why didn't he tell me? Wow. I thought didn't keep secrets. I rushed from the corner before Michael could see me. I found a tree out side, and sat under it. I grabbed my Anne Frank book, and picked up where I left off. I've read Anne Frank many times. I can't get enough of it. As I continued reading, I saw Michael and the girl coming towards me. I rolled my eyes. Great. I packed my stuff quickly, right when he came to me I shoved past him.
"Nyhelie! Wait!"
I turned around as a few tears came down my face. I gritted my teeth in anger.
"What do you want from my life, Michael?!"
"Nyhelie I'm-"
"Save it!"
I raised my hand to his face.
"Aren't you supposed to be ignoring me for unknown reasons. I never thought I'd see the day, where officially became invisible to my own best friend. And you didn't even tell me you had a freaking girlfriend!"
"Yeah I'm his girlfriend! So back off bitch!"
"Stop it, Tatum!"
"Wow! Of all people, Tatum O'Neal?! If I may recall, Tatum O'Neal was the one that broke up with you, because she wanted money!!! You know what, if this is why I'm so invisible now, then so be it! I just hope you're happy Michael!"
I ran back inside the school. I finished my classes, and walked to my locker to books I didn't need for homework away. I saw Michael and Tatum coming around the corner. He spotted me. I instantly rushed out of the school. I slowed down and took out my camera. I turned to make sure Michael wasn't behind me. I saw these beautiful sunflowers in a field I hadn't noticed earlier, so i took pictures of them. I kept walking to see a nest in a tree. I saw a robin in the tree with her babies. I zoomed in on the tree, and took a picture of them. I turned to see Michael and Tatum again. He spotted me, and I quickly ran down the street, with them right behind me. I made it to Hayvenhurst, and ran in. They were getting closer and closer, until I slammed my room door in Michael's face. I caught my breath, and set my bag down on my bed. I need to go for a walk. I'll call Emma Jeane. I put my hair into a ponytail. And called her.
"Hello?"
"Hi, is this Emma Jeane?"
"This is she."
"This is Nyhelie from school."
"Hi Nyhelie."
"Hi, um I was wondering if you wanted to hang out."
"Oh, um I don't know if I can... where?"
"At sunset park."
"Okay sure, I'll ask my mom, and call you back."
"Okay."
I hung up, and sat on the bed finishing my homework. When I finished, the phone rung.
"Hello?"
"Nyhelie?"
"Yeah?"
"I can go!"
"Great! Meet you in 30 minutes."
"Alright."
I hung up, and quietly opened my door. I peaked my head through, to make sure the coast was clear. I slowly made it downstairs, into the kitchen. Well that was a stupid move. Michael, Tatum, and Janet were sitting at the table, and Mrs. Jackson was cleaning dishes.
"Mrs. Jackson?"
"Oh hey Nyhelie, please, call me Katherine!"
"Ok, um I wanted to let you know, I was meeting my new friend from school at the park."
"Ok that's fine. Please be home by dinner."
"Ok."
"Can I come?"
Janet pleaded me.
"Of course you can! Come on!"
She jumped up with excitement, and followed me outside.