n i n e

I was beginning to think that Rob Miller and me were just never going to happen. One moment we seemed to be getting really close, but the next we weren't. After the whole babysitting thing and him kissing me, I figured maybe things were actually going to go somewhere, but they weren't. Rob distanced himself even further away from me after that, and I couldn't figure out why. He stopped showing up at my house for 3 days, and by the fourth I was tired and decided to go fishing for answers as to why.

That was why I found myself knocking on his door. Usually, in most situations, it would be sensible to just text the person instead of making an unknown pop up at their house, but Rob wouldn't even respond to texts either.

Instead of Mr. or Mrs. Miller answering, the person I had come to see did instead. I was glad because this made things much less complicated. "Rob, we need to talk." I said, as he stepped into the doorway.

"About?"

"You haven't said anything to me for 3 days. Don't you think I deserve an explanation. Not to mention you kissed me."

"Why does any of that need an explanation?" he asked, his voice suddenly full of irritation.

I huffed. He couldn't be serious. "Because it just does. You don't just kiss someone and stop talking to them like it never happened."

"Actually, I've done it plenty of times."

I snorted. "Alright, I guess I'm just wasting my time here then."

"I guess." Rob said, a small smirk playing on the corner of his lips.

I didn't waste any time getting away from his house. I was definitely going to go insane trying to figure this boy out. Why did I like him anyways? Why was I so suddenly attracted to this idea that he might actually be with me just because he had flirted with me a little and kissed me? Every guy in this town did that with girls, but unfortunately it never meant anything the way it should have.

Later that same day I received a text from Rob asking me to meet him at the park. I rolled my eyes at it, because I just knew I was probably going to be disappointed by him again.

When I showed up, Rob was waiting for me with his hands shoved into the pocket of his blue jeans. His body seemed stiff and tense. "Hey." he said when I reached him.

"So why am I meeting you here again?"

"I never told you."

I snorted. "Well start talking."

Rob sighed. "Look, I've been going through some-" he paused, and looked around him as though someone might be listening to us. "Things, very personal things. I don't think I can trust anybody with them, and that's why I haven't really been saying much."

"But you trust me, right?" I asked him.

"Why do you think you were asked to be here?" he asked, confirming my own question to be true.

"Alright, well what are these things?"

"Depression, it's pretty bad actually." Rob sighed. "I don't know why I guess the move and everything has really made things worse for me. I wanted to move somewhere that wasn't a part of this shitty state."

"I feel you on that one." I told him, moving a little closer. "I mean, this place stinks. Why do you think I'm trying to get out?" 

Suddenly, Rob reached for both of my hands and held them. My breath caught in my throat.

"Yeah, I know." he said.

"Run away with me." I found myself saying. I was surprised I had even said those words, but it was too late. They were already out there, and I couldn't take them back, so I just kept saying more. "Let's leave this place behind and just you and me get away from this town. I made you a promise I'd take you with me when I wanted to leave after all."