XXV. Outsmart Thee

"How could you be so blind, William?" Ysabella asked her husband who could not keep his eyes off Maxine. "It is truly her!"

Wakefield inclined his head to the right and narrowed his eyes. "Apart from the eyes, I do not quiet see how she can be Maxine."

Maxine gave Ysabella a look. "I told you I am good, did I not?"

The door to the study opened and the butler came in with a tray of fresh tea.

"Morris, I expect you to keep our guest's presence here a secret," Ysabella said to the middle-aged man.

The butler looked at Maxine and nodded, saying, "Yes, of course, my lady. Whatever you wish."

Ysabella let out a satisfied smile. "Morris can be trusted," she reassured Maxine.

"Of course, he can be," Wakefield dryly uttered.

His wife ignored his remark. "Morris, do you see her as a woman?"

The butler studied Maxine and shook his head. "I honestly do not, my lady. A pretty boy is what I see."

Wakefield threw his butler a look. "Finally, you and I agree on one thing."

Morris nodded. "Yes, my lord. But I must also point out that we both have always agreed on many matters. For one, we both liked Lady Ysabella, only that I never ignored it as you did so for many years. Also, we both agree that—"

"You can leave, Morris," Wakefield said, voice filled with warning. "And do tell the servants that they cannot speak of our guest's presence to anyone else."

Morris shamelessly nodded before he walked out of the study.

Maxine would love to have worked with that Morris than Oscar. Mayhap she ought to have come to Ysabella instead of Nicholas!

"Now, tell us what is the matter. Why do you need to hide, Maxine?" Ysabella asked, concerned. "You are not in grave danger, are you? Because if you are, I do not believe it is wise that you hide from your family. Samuel was here a week ago and he was very much worried."

"I cannot let him find me just yet, Ysabella," Maxine said. "I have to face my mother first."

Ysabella seemed surprised but she did not express it in words. "So that is why you ran away."

Maxine nodded. "Yes."

"I do not understand your predicament, Maxine, for I have never been in one of the same nature. But I do know how it feels to want to fight for something only you can comprehend. Which is why I understand why you wish to hide from your brother."

"And yours as well," Maxine hastily added.

Ysabella stared at her with confusion. "Nicholas?"

"No. Maxwell."

Her friend frowned at her. "You have said that he knows that you are a woman, but not who you are—"

"He now knows who I am."

"And he wants to take you back home to Theobald, does he not?"

More than that, she wanted to say yet there was no reason to cause a rift between the Everard siblings. Whatever Maxwell was planning, Ysabella had nothing to do with it.

"He is simply making things quite difficult for me," was all she said.

"Hmm. Curious," Ysabella said. "Maxwell seems not to be someone who would meddle in someone's affairs."

"He found out that his brother's valet is a woman," Wakefield pointed out, "and now he learns that she is gentry. Any man would feel inclined to meddle." He shifted in his seat. "But I will allow you to stay here if you truly wish to hide. I could not simply kick you out now, yes?"