VII. The Everard Brother

Save for the black hair and emerald green eyes, there was no other sign of Nicholas in this other Everard brother of his.

Maxine thought that she knew them too well from all of Samuel's stories, but now as she stared at the scowling face of the man before her, she was quite certain why Samuel might have chosen not to talk about him often.

She had seen Benedict Everard, the eldest, in a few Theobald parties before he married. She had also had a glimpse of the youngest brother, Ralph and even Levi, the second brother next to Benedict, when they had to attend a few Theobald parties to accompany their mother.

But this one she had never seen. This was the brother that was rarely mentioned, the one whose name she had forgotten. All that she could remember was that there were five Everard men and this was probably the third brother.

What was his name again? Ah, bother not, she could not remember!

She may not have remembered this brother when Samuel had mentioned him, but she was certain she'd never forget him again after this moment—that was if she was to survive this moment alive for by the look on his face he might already be thinking how to murder her.

His piercing, impatient eyes bore into her and Maxine found that she could not move.

"Where is Nicholas?" he demanded with a snap.

Maxine opened her mouth to speak but the man finally shook his head and walked past her, brushing her aside. "Where the bloody hell is Oscar?" he demanded in a low, wry voice.

For the love of all that was holy, Maxine finally managed to close the door behind her.

"Well?" the angry Everard asked, whirling to face her once more. "What the bloody hell is the matter with you?" he demanded. "And why are you here?"

"I—I am the new butler," she uttered and he frowned at her with disbelief. Then she realized what she had said and her face flushed. "I meant I am the new valet, milord," she managed without a stammer.

"The valet?" he asked, now utterly interested. He peered down at her and walked closer. "You, a valet?"

Maxine blinked and nodded. This must be the brother who scared all his valets away, she thought, remembering Nicholas' words back in Theobald.

"Milord!" Oscar's urgent voice said from behind Maxine. "Apologies, milord," Oscar said, "He is new."

The frown on the man's face did not disappear even when he tore his eyes off Maxine to face Oscar. "Where is Nicholas? He is wanted at the manor."

"We believe he has set out for Grey's, my lord."

"Ah, bloody bastard," the man said, turning on his heels.

"Should I inform his lordship of your—" Oscar started but the man raised his hand to stop Oscar's words.

"No. I shall find him myself." He strode past Maxine and stopped, turned to face her and added, "Do not answer the door if you do not know how to speak."

Her mouth dropped open at the man's detestable remark. She glared at the broad back walking away from her and she did not notice Oscar standing beside her until the man snapped at her, saying, "Dare not do anything that is not part of your task, valet."

Maxine slowly turned to frown at Oscar. "But being a valet also requires one to wait on their masters and that includes opening doors."

Oscar scowled at her. "But Lord Max is not your master."

Maxine's eyes widened. "Max?"

Oscar incredulously glared at her. "Maxwell Everard, the Lord of Kenward. You do not know the man? Are you daft?"