VI. The Valet

Maxine was quite aware that the side door was the only form of exit and entry for service people. They were not to enter the main doors unless they were ordered to by their masters.

As she stood facing the wooden side entrance, she wondered which doors bastards such as her ought to use. If she were to ask anyone with strong opinion against bastards, mayhap that someone would point her to the window or the chimney.

Setting her thoughts aside, she lifted her hand and knocked on the door.

She heard a clashing sound from inside the kitchen followed by a round of laughter. One distinct shrilling laugh was coming closer to the door and Maxine prepared herself. She squared her shoulders and prepared herself as she heard the sound of the lock and the door swung open.

What greeted him was the laughing face of a petite brown-haired maid who seemed startled at the sight of Maxine. But the stunned expression changed to that of curiosity and great interest.

"Hello," the young woman greeted with a sweet smile as she batted her eyes at Maxine. "How may I be of service, young sir?"

Maxine cleared her throat and tried to offer a small smile in return. "Good day, ma'am. I am here under the invitation of Lord Nicholas Everard. My name's Max... Max Richeman—not a rich man, but Richman."

The woman laughed out loud, causing a few more heads to pop into view. One was that of a taller young maid with dark hair, another that of an old woman and two gentlemen who might be the butler and the footman.

"You are funny!" the woman said, giving a small curtsy. "My name's Molly."

Maxine bowed. "Nice to meet you, Miss Molly."

She waved her hand dismissively. "Just Molly, Max." She batted her eyes at her once again.

Maxine smiled. "Molly then."

"You say you are here on invitation by his lordship?"

She nodded. "Yes. He invited me to apply for the position of footman—his valet, to be precise."

The larger young man behind Molly jumped to his feet with a smile. "Finally!" He turned to the lanky man beside him. "There you go, Oscar—a valet!"

But it seemed as though the man named Oscar was not quite pleased to see Maxine. He was giving her a speculative look and for the first time since she arrived in Wickhurst, Maxine felt overtly conscious. But she kept her smile to herself and lifted her chin. "I came from the Theobalds."

The eyes of everyone staring at him widened save for Oscar's.

"I have Lord Theobald's referral with me if you wish to see it," she said, addressing Oscar whom she was now certain to be the butler.

"How marvelous!" Molly said, turning to give the taller young maid an exciting look. "Look, Lottie, someone from the Theobalds!"

Lottie smiled shyly but nodded her head to share Molly's excitement.

"Do come in, young lad," the old woman said, waving her hand. "Oscar will inform the master of your arrival."

Everyone stepped aside to give way for Maxine. She rearranged her bag over her shoulder and walked into the kitchen.

Molly dutifully dragged a chair for her but Maxine did not miss the look of disdain on Oscar's eyes as the maid continued to stare at Maxine, asking countless questions she could hardly keep up with.

Overwhelmed by the welcoming atmosphere brought about by Molly, Lottie and the old woman, she easily found it easier to think that this might just work. She could be with these people until it was time for her to save more money, move on to Willowfair and find her mother. She could not stay long in Wickhurst for her brother was here.