CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1

Maybe I should just throw my cell phone away.

I looked at the cute little pink thing in my hand—the one fully equipped with a sparkling unicorn case—waiting for it to show some kind of miracle. There were words you couldn't say in person, yes. That was when our handy cell phones came along.

A little, itty-bitty text wouldn't hurt.

I already gave in to the idea of doing it by text message, no matter how unromantic it sounded. But still, it wasn't near happening. I just couldn't see why he couldn't do it. Either way was fine. I was okay with anything. What was his problem?

"Hey, punk, where should I put this?" asked Finn, holding up my hair dryer. He was my twin brother. "Doesn't Cait have one of these?"

"We might dry hair at the same time! You'll never know," I explained to Finn the severity of such a situation.

"All right, let's just try to fit it in your bag," Finn replied, squeezing the hair dryer inside my already full luggage.

"Thank you, brother dear!" I said, getting out of my room. I got long hair now, so I definitely needed that hair dryer. No more buzz cut. No more hair extensions. All authentic hair that was a little below my shoulders. Plus I got blond highlights near my chin.

He told me to let my hair grow, no cutting or hair coloring. But after that afternoon when we had this big fight, I went straight to my favorite hair stylist—big sis, aka Megan.

I told Megan that I'd like to have a few highlights, thank you very much. Megan told me that doing weird things to my hair usually led to uncanny events. I said not really. That I had nothing up my sleeves this time, just a few days at my favorite cousin's place to celebrate the opening of her beach restaurant.

My original plan was to be back right away. I had to spend my summer with KN, since this one was so crucial to our strong relationship. But after 'the fight', which paved way to Megan and the highlights, I'd decided to stay a little longer at my cousin's place.

"Can't you just leave some of your other clothes behind? I know you'll be spending most of your summer there, but do you really have to pack everything?" Finn called out from my bedroom.

"I have to wear something while I wash some," I replied, getting food from the kitchen and putting it in my hand-carry bag.

"What is this? Why do you have a big bottle of shampoo here?" Finn asked.

"I might run out of shampoo!" I replied.

"Then just buy it there," Finn replied. "This one's going out of the luggage."

"Okay, I'll just buy there," I agreed, finding a bottle of juice and putting it in my bag. We should avoid getting a heatstroke, and drinking plenty of fluids was a nice way to fight it. I also threw in a bag of candies. I had this bizarre imagination that the plane might crash, we'd all be stuck on a remote island, and there would be no food. Since there were so many of us who survived, I had to bring as much as I could.

It was for emergencies.

"The weight of your bag is already unimaginable. How could you even carry this?" Finn asked me, hauling my yellow suitcase along.

"Jayden is coming with me," I filled him in.

"And he will be your personal carrier?" Finn asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Nah, he'll be my companion. He might carry my suitcase every now and then, but I'll carry it most of the time. I promise," I said to him. "Caitee will pick us up in the airport, and my suitcase has wheels."