Chapter 6 - Premilaries

Start from the beginning

"But you don't really have to now. You can always stay at my place or at Lady Jayne's. I think she can be trusted."

"I know, I know ... but I'm also here for the money and experience. I'm dead broke ... Simtrixx is paying us a hundred dollars for every day we survive the Game. A hundred bucks a day just for playing!"

Ash snorted and opened his mouth to tell his friend off. They both knew that money was not really the issue here. Jace's untouched allowance account was overflowing with money if only he wasn't so stubborn. Pride alone made him unconsciously disown his family. Pride and the unjust hurt he had to suffer, he amended.

Jace gave his friend a warning look before continuing "... and I want to be someone else for a bit. I'm just so tired of being me."

That was the crux of the matter.

Nothing else mattered at this point. Jace had been given an opportunity to be someone else and he would take it, even if only for a few short weeks. Being anyone else was much better than being himself right now. He hated being Jonathan Carter. No, hate was too mild, try loathe. He loathed himself. Anyways, focus will be on the avatar not him.

"Right, and I'm here because I don't want to be bored doing nothing during the break wondering what the hell you are up to. Besides, I'm sure I can beat you this time. Bet I'll 'live' longer than you."

"I hate to tell you this but I doubt it."

"Is that a dare? Game on!" Ash laughed. "No holds barred then."

They rose as one heading to the row of waiting Simtrixx personnel, each handing over the signed document. This sparked a flurry of activity as their Acceptances were processed. Ash grinned at Jace at the next line.

More and more people were making their decisions. Most headed to stand in line to proceed with the next phase but some simply threw their unsigned contracts onto a table as they stalked out the entrance door muttering to themselves. Ash winked at Jace, "Less competition," he mouthed. Jace nodded. Others were still agonizing over the fine print.

Finally done, the man processing Jace's paperwork indicated him to key in his Invitation Code.

"Verification please."

"Thank you," he said tapping the keyboard. "Confirmed, Player 0317. Please proceed to Games Complex." He waved at the archway behind him. "Next!"

"Wow! I feel like I'm in prison. I've got my inmate number and all." 

Jace smiled in response.

Passing through the archway, they were led past a row of elevators, doors open invitingly.

"Please proceed to the end of the hallway and form a line. Last elevator on your left."

A smiling attendant was pointing the way.

"The last one? What about all these? Where do they go?" Ash asked.

They reached the end and dutifully fell into line. It was not long before it was their turn. Jace and Ash stepped into the carpeted elevator.

"Going down!" the hyper attendant yelled to no one in particular as the elevator suddenly started falling.

"Whoa! I did not see that coming."

A few others laughed nervously as they righted their balance. The elevator dropped down for several minutes.

"How many floors down are we going?"

No answer. Finally a loud 'ping' announced their arrival. The doors opened to a spacious lounge. Everyone trooped out. As the doors closed behind them, they could hear the attendant's cheerful voice. "Going up!"