chapter twenty four

"Greenie, greenie, grennie!" Everyone was chanting. Oh, this can't be good.

Gally was waiting in the circle with hungry eyes. The boy sitting next to me whipped his head around at all of the yells. He slowly got up and made his way over before he got pushed in with Gally. Gally looked over to make sure I was watching and gave me a side smirk. I could hear Gally talking to the greenie but not exactly what he said. I turned back around so I wasn't facing the circle. I wasn't in the mood to see Gally beat up the green bean. Once it started I could hear occasional "oo's" and "ahh's". I heard a thud of a body hitting the ground. Still not turning around I was hoping it wasn't the new kid. Yet I also wouldn't be too thrilled if it was Gally.

"I... I remember my name! My name's Gardner!!" I heard someone scream. I turned around quickly to see the greenie standing up with joy in his eyes.

"Gardner!!" Alby yelled. Everyone erupted into screams for the greenie. As Alby held up his arm as if he won a fight, Gardner found my eyes. I just clapped and smiled back at the large smile on his face. Even Gally seemed to enjoy the situation playing out in front of him. They finally put out the fire and Alby sent us all to bed.

"Goodnight Willow" Gally walked me to my hammock and hugged me tightly before leaving to go to bed.
•••••••
I was woken up with hard breathing next to my ear and someone tapped my shoulder. My eyes fluttered open to a dark sky. I looked over to see the person who had tapped me awake. It was Gally with fear and worry in his eyes. He had sweat dripping down this face. I sat up immediately at the sight of his distress.

"Gally," I whisper "What happened?" I asked confused.

"I uh, can I talk to you about this in my room?" He asked skittishly. I nodded my head and he began to lead me to the homestead. We didn't speak as we picked our way through the field of sleeping boys. We arrived in his room and he turned around to face me almost in tears.

"Gally," I said again "What is it?"

"Willow I really like you and I don't want anyone else to think that you are available because you aren't mine. I had a dream that you chose that new shank over me." His emotions changed from sad to loving to anger within one sentence. I approached Gally wrapping my arms around his waist and looking up at him.

"Gally you never have to worry about me picking him over you." He looked away from me refusing to make eye contact with me. I put my hands up to his cheeks and made him look at me while I wiped tears off of his cheeks. His green eyes filled with pain. "Gally you're mine," I said burying my face in his chest. He pulled me away, arms-length, and looked into my eyes

"Does that mean you're mine?" He asked a grin pulled at his mouth. I nodded and he crashed his lips to mine. I pulled away and giggled at the sudden disappearance of his sad expression.

"I have been waiting for this since the day you arrived." He breathed. He pulled me in close to his chest hugging me. He rested his hand on the back of my head while we held each other. We finally pulled away and he kissed me on the forehead.

"You should probably head back down before morning." He said. I nodded and started to walk out the door. "Hey Willow?" Gally called. I turned around at the sound of his husky voice. "Goodnight" I gave him a toothy grin.

"Goodnight Gally" I blew him a playful kiss as if we were little kids. I saw his face grow red in the dim light as I turned to go back to bed.