Frustrated, Rian stared at Arryk. This would be harder than he thought.

"I had to come here to think," said Arryk. "Things aren't turning out the way I had imagined them. I can't let everything I've worked for my whole life slip away," said Arryk.

"It won't," said Rian, trying to soothe Arryk, not totally sure what he was talking about. "I don't understand what you're doing here?"

"That's none of your business. This is my homeworld. The question is: why are you here?" Arryk grew angry.

"Relax," said Rian, not wanting to get confrontational. They needed to get out of the paravescea. Both of them being in here together was dangerous. "Don't get upset. If we don't get out of here, we'll both be in trouble, Arryk."

"We're already in trouble," said Arryk. "And, you're the problem! How did you learn that blindness spell so fast? And how did you draw the power from my amulet?"

Rian shook his head. "I don't know. I guess I was desperate."

Now, Arryk drew his sword. "I can't let you go now."

Rian stared at the prince. Now he was worried. What would happen if one of them killed the other inside the paravescea? Neither of them were really there—but would that person actually die? But their minds were currently linked. If one died, would they both die?

"You're confused," said Rian. "You need to let me help you."

"I'm not confused!" said Arryk. "I'm just seeing things clearly—how things have to be, if I'm to be the King of Cathal."

"Put the sword away. Together, we can figure a way out of this—" said Rian.

"I have to kill you," said Arryk, aiming his sword at Rian. "Before you get any more powerful--or I'll never be King!"

"You can't kill me now, we're in the middle of the Paravescea!" said Rian.

"I can't lose to you."

"Listen to me! We're stuck in the Paravescea, if you kill me, we might both die!" But Arryk wasn't listening to that. "I thought you wanted to win making alliances!"

"I can't take that chance. Right now I'm more powerful than you. In a few months, you'll pass me up. By the end of the Challenge, there's no way I'll be able to beat you. You're learning too fast."

"But ... you're the one who's been teaching me!"

"I know. I've been a fool," said Arryk, positioning the sword as if readying to strike.

"Please, Arryk," said Rian. "This is a bad idea. Don't do this!" But Arryk didn't listen.

Rian dodged the blow. What would happen if they cast magic inside the paravescea? Surely, it was very dangerous.

"Asta binet!" cried Rian, casting a hand-shield spell before the angry prince lunged again. "Stop it!" yelled Rian, but Arryk was beyond listening.

For a few moments, Rian just dodged Arryk's attacks.

"Rishet santri!" yelled Arryk, casting a spell at Rian, one he hadn't heard before. Something invisible shoved Rian backwards and he fell, losing his balance. Rishet meant phantom.

This world wasn't real; it was only in Arryk's mind. Were all the rules the same as in the real world? How could Rian use that against Arryk? He had to stop him before he harmed them both.