Chapter 12

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

12

When Rian awoke, laying on the ground, Kyran loomed over him. Rian's head pounded with pain so intense he could hardly see. He flailed around, meaning to get out from under Kyran but he had no sense of balance. Kyran had hit him across the head with his sword, after coming out of a nightmare.

"No, Rian," Kyran called out. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to!"

Rian stared up at Kyran miserably, trying to figure out why he was still alive. He saw the sword on the ground, still in its scabbard. Kyran hadn't unsheathed it--he'd hit him with the flat side of the scabbard. His head swam. "Please, don't be angry!" begged Kyran nearly in tears.

"What--?" He tried to sit up, but too quickly. Pain hit him again and his vision dimmed and he felt he would pass out again. Kyran tried to help him up but Rian couldn't hear what he said.

"No, I'm okay," said Rian, pushing Kyran's hands away. He just sat there for a few moments while the room stopped moving around. He felt nauseated and felt as if he wanted to throw up. "Dammit, Kyran. What happened, what is wrong with you?"

Kyran stood beside Rian, with only half of his stubborn face silhouetted in the lamplight. His expression was unreadable. "I had a bad dream."

At this, Rian meant to swear but another wave of pain and dizziness passed over him. He closed his eyes and opened them again. "Who were you trying to kill?"

Kyran hesitated. "I don't know." When Rian said nothing, he continued. "I thought I was in a ... I don't know, a cave or something. A terrible place; there were ... monsters there. Different kinds. I was in a cage made of iron, like big bird cage, but for people." He shuddered. "I felt so hungry, but I kept worrying that they would beat me."

Rian stared up at him, the pounding in his head had receded a little. "Did they beat you?"

"No," said Kyran.

"Had they beaten you?"

"I think so."

"Did Molan hold you prisoner?"

"No." The response was quick; he seemed sure.

"Who were you fighting then?"

Kyran's stared at him, his face white. He looked terrified. "It was ... there was a pit. I'd seen it before. They took me there, to the edge." A tear slipped down his face.

"What was there, Kyran? What was in the pit?"

Kyran turned and ran downstairs. He threw himself on the floor beside one of the lamps. He sat there with his head buried on his knees and cried, tears streaming down his eyes. He wouldn't speak or move.

Frustrated, Rian pounded on the iron door. A moment later, Ehina's sister Catla opened it. "Are you all right?" she asked.

"No," he said, moving back from the door so that she could come in. She did so, closing the door. "He had a bad dream, something that terrified him. Before he came out of it, he hit me pretty hard in the head."

She looked at the sobbing form of Kyran, sitting with his back to Rian.

"Maybe I should see a doctor or a healer?" he suggested. She noticed then his bleeding arm and nodded. She slipped out the door, locking it afterwards. She returned maybe ten minute later with a tall white-haired man dressed in a grey robe.