Chapter 26

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

26

Anya still rested in the healing wing of the castle at Bannarel Island. Finding time was difficult, but Shaz chose an afternoon several days after the start of the Challenge to get away. Only his second, Saemund, knew where he was. Saemund was trustworthy; he wouldn't tell anyone. Even the Arlunni thought he'd returned home.

From the Eye of Chuness, he'd teleported to Bannarel. He was pleased to find that his mother wasn't there. He knew that she wouldn't sit around waiting for her daughter-in-law to wake up from a coma. That would be a waste of her precious time.

The healers indicated that she hadn't woken yet but had been showing signs of improvement. So, he sat there by Anya's side and waited. By now, her mother knew. The healers said that Aldena Jade had come and gone a number of times. But she had the Seven Worlds of Cathal to rule. It would be hard for her to spend every day here.

Shaz didn't really expect Anya to wake up while he was there. He hoped that she would, but he worried about her. Meanwhile, he sat there and thought up names for the child. Sarianda, if it was a girl. Carseph Blaen, if a boy. He smiled at the thought.

He'd brought books to study for class and ended up reading for hours. He didn't need to be on Arlunn for that. He could do it here just as well.

Later, he glanced over at her, to see her looking back at him. How long had she been watching him? "You're here," she said.

"Disappointed?" he asked.

"I thought you said you had the Challenge?" she asked.

He closed the textbook and set it aside. "I do, but, I figured no one would miss me much. And, I've been so worried about you. I was afraid ..." his voice broke, but he struggled not to let his emotions overwhelm him. "I was afraid that you'd die. I feel so terrible. Why did you jump?"

She stared back at him. "You frightened me," she said. "And I felt so trapped. I just can't be pregnant right now. I don't think I can handle it." She looked away from him. He wanted to take her hand, but he was afraid she'd pull away from him. "Does my mother know?"

He nodded. "Yes. She's been to visit you several times, but you've been unconscious for almost three days."

"Three days," she repeated, her eyes widening.

"Anya, I never meant to hurt you. I love you so much! I want you to come live with me, on Arlunn." This came out spontaneously. He never meant to offer this. His mother would be furious.

But Anya looked up at him with interest. "Really? I can come to Arlunn?"

"Yes," he said. He hoped it wasn't a lie. Anything to pacify Anya at this point. "Then, we'd be together. We could make plans for the baby, and for the wedding. It won't be as elegant as the palace, but it would be more private."

"And what's the alternative?" she asked.

"Well, my mother would probably send you off to some small town, to be out of the spotlight to look after you until the child is born." As with all the others.

"What about my mother? Why can't I just go back there?"

He tried to tread delicately here. This was something that upset her before. "By custom, since I'm the prince of Chuness, you go into my custody right now, not into your mother's—at least until the child is born. My mother will hold Aldena to that. I know it."

Anya stared at him, conflicted.

He reached out for her hand. "Look, I'm an idiot sometimes. I'm sorry if I rushed you into this. Please, forgive me." He thought maybe he was beginning to sway her. "If you don't want to have an intimate relationship now, then, we can wait until you're ready. I just want you to be with me. I promise, I'll be a perfect gentleman."

She smiled a little at this.

"Is that a yes?" he asked eagerly. Her smile broadened.

"Yes," she said at last.

"Good," he smiled. He wanted to hug her, but he held back. He mustn't push her too fast, not this time.

Shaz felt fear and a bit of excitement at going against his mother's wishes.

+ - + - + - + - + - + -

Come visit my author website: www.meredithskye.com

If you liked this chapter, encourage me to write more--please click "vote."