Chapter 25

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

25

The prince had time for a quick breakfast before the Summoning lecture. Arryk ate alone in his apartment. He grabbed his books and headed for the main college. The apartments and main college areas were safe zones. No one could attack anyone in those areas. So, he felt safe making his way to class alone.

He felt a twinge of guilt for consigning Rian to a cell in the Interstitium. If only he'd just agree to leave the Challenge, Arryk would gladly let him go. But the prince was a fool and he deserved to suffer.

Arryk entered the college and made for the upper lecture hall but he was intercepted by Emmara.

"I would like a word with you," she said, not bothering to disguise her displeasure.

He knew what this was about. He stopped and faced her. "How can I help you?" he asked, in mock politeness.

"It is true that you abducted the Favored Heir and are holding him in the Interstitium?"

"It is," said Arryk. He had nothing to hide.

She scowled. "On the first day of the Challenge—was that necessary?"

"Yes, it was," said Arryk firmly.

"There's still nearly a year left in the Challenge; he could learn a lot in that time if you left him here on Arlunn."

"I doubt it. I could have killed him several times over. He is utterly and completely unprepared for the Challenge. He should not have been allowed to compete. I'm not sure he's capable of learning anything."

"It's not really your place to decide," she countered.

"On the contrary, it is," said Arryk.

"You should return him to Arlunn," said Emmara in her most authoritative voice.

"No, I don't think so. He should already be dead. I saved his life! Meanwhile, I choose to keep him in the Interstitium—which is our domain. At least that way, he'll be moderately safe." He pushed past the teacher and made his way to the lecture.

It hadn't started yet. He found Rhana. "How did it go?" he asked.

"I've shored up the basic architecture with a number of binding spells. They'll hold for awhile." She looked tired. No doubt she had been up for hours already this morning. "We need a power source."

He nodded. The paravescea. They'd each received the needed components. They knew the theory of how to set it up. Arryk himself had trained for a year at one of the towers on Ashilan. Even as a child, he'd been lectured over and over again on the benefits and the dangers.

"We'll do it—today—after the lecture. We can't keep the structure together on sheer willpower."

Rhana nodded. "It seems a little early, but, okay. You're right. We need it."

Arryk nodded.

Shaz arrived with his second, Saemund. He made his way over to Arryk, who stood ready, just in case—even if this was a safe area.

"Arryk," said Shaz. "I hear you're playing wet-nurse to the young prince."

"What is it to you?" asked Arryk.