Untitled Part 8

The next day, I walk into my sister's room and come face to face with none other than 417. She notices me pretty quickly and makes herself scarce, probably due to the awkward silence that lingers as soon as I walk in.

Emily gives me a look but doesn't say anything.

"How are you?"

"Fine, although I dislike that you scared off my best friend in this place."

"She's your best friend?"

"Yeah."

"Couldn't you pick someone else?"

"That's not really how friendship works, Ben. You either get on or you don't. I still don't get why you hate her." She says, glancing over at her valentine.

I sigh in defeat and nod.

"So how many valentines did the girl wonder in 417 receive?" I ask, pulling my feet up into a more comfortable position.

"None, actually."

My eyebrows arch in surprise.

"None?"

"None. Not a single person made one for her, no one was thinking about her. It's really sad, actually."

I frown.

"Did she tell you that?"

"I asked. I was thanking her and asked if she had gotten one in return. She looked really embarrassed, Ben, so drop it ok?" Emily gives me the evil eye and I nod, raising my hands in surrender.

Emily flicks through the magazine I had brought with me and I sigh, mulling over what I had just found out.

I would be embarrassed too, all that effort, every year. The more I think about it, the more infuriated I feel. Someone should notice, I mean it's not that hard. The girl who occupies room 417 probably works harder than the nursing staff combined to keep these kids happy.

I feel, quite suddenly, sick to my stomach. My attitude towards her is no better and I feel sick thinking about it. I have always prided myself on being a good person, a genuine, dependable guy but I'm not. I'm judgemental and cruel.

I will try, in the future, to be a little kinder to everyone. In particular, the girl in 417.

­_

Emily sighs, 45 minutes into her show and I am thoroughly bored with it. The guy who's the girl's best-friend is clearly having an affair with the girl's boyfriend. I don't know names, but the girl is dense as a doorknob.

"This show sucks."

"You suck."

"Real mature, Emily."

She sticks her tongue out at me and I chuckle. I glance out of the door and watch the nurses station for a little while. Two of them look as if they're in deep conversation. An argument almost. A third nurse is in heated debate on a phone. I'm so transfixed that I almost don't notice the movement to the left. I see a very small wrist, leaning against a door frame and after a second a head follows.

It's 417, but she doesn't look as if she knows I'm watching. She is gazing at the nurse's station too, watching them very carefully. She frowns slightly and I watch her more intently. She's wearing a long-sleeved blue shirt and hospital issue trousers. Her hair falls around her shoulders like a curtain, concealing her on her mission. She's certainly moving like a spy, like she hopes no one will spot her.

Her face drops, as if she's heard something awful. She freezes for a moment and then hops back, racing back towards her room.

Curious. I idly wonder what they could have been talking about.

"I have to use the bathroom." Emily suddenly declares and I nod vacantly.

"Good to know." I mutter and she shuts the door loudly. Rude.

I huff to myself and gaze around the room. My eyes land on the ostentatious red heart-shaped card and I flick my eyes back to the bathroom. I'm curious, sue me.

I lean forwards and snatch it up, turning it over in my hands. The front has a little watercolour sketch of what I think is cherry blossom. It's pretty and very detailed.

I open the card, conscious that Em will be out soon and won't be happy to see me snooping.

417's Handwriting is loopy and very neat, as though she had written every word very carefully.

"Emily,

I'm sorry that your Valentine's day has to be spent in a hospital, but I am confident that you'll live to see a great many, under much more pleasant circumstances. Until then, know that you are loved, by your friends here at the hospital, in the clinic and of course, your school friends. Not only that, but you have the love of your family, in particular, Ben.

Cherish their love and use it as strength to battle on. It'll brighten even your darkest days.

Never underestimate your own strength, Emily.

Lots of love and happiness,

417."

It's eloquently put together and just enough to feel as though a lot of thought went into it. I assume all her other cards are similarly worded, although I am unsure how I feel about my mention. She's noticed we're close, but you'd have to be an idiot not to see that.

I hear the sinks turn and I quickly return the card, attempting to place it just right. Emily walks out a moment later and I drag my gaze towards her. My head flicks over towards the hallway, but it remains empty.

"Quick, Em. You're missing all the good bits!"