Vodka & Nerds

God my head is killing me.

I turned on my side but regretted it as soon as cords pulled the skin on my arm. I reached up and heard a gasp beside me as I touched my head.

"James!?" I heard a woman gasp again. I fought my eyes and willed them to pry open. The woman was holding me now. I groaned as lights flooded through my eyes and immediately shut them again.

"Jamie, don't open your eyes," I heard a man say from beside me and smiled. He sounded familiar. "Jamie?"

"Mmm, sounds good," I said softly as my head finally began to stop pounding. I heard a soft laugh from the man and then slowly opened my eyes to see the most electric blue I had ever seen in my life staring back—somehow they were so familiar. He had black hair that was messy, long on the top and short on the sides. He had a grown out beard but it was cut short almost like an accent to his chiseled jaw.

Beautiful.

"Hey, James. How are you feeling buddy?" the god of a man said to me. He had a soft smile on his lips showcasing two straight rows of bleached white teeth. Every color on this man was so bright and contrasted with all the dark, including the soft caramel color of his skin.

"Oh, my god! James!" the woman on my other side sobbed. I looked over at her and found short, red curly hair and dark green eyes. She had freckles across her nose and tears in those forest eyes. "I was so worried you would never wake up?"

I went to answer...when it hit me.

James?

Jamie?

A-am I James?

Am I Jamie?

I started to panic as I racked my brain for my name. Then I looked at the two people who seemed to understand that I was confused. Who were they, though? How did I know them?

"I-" I cut off as my throat felt dry and hoarse. I began to feel sick and looked over at the beautiful woman and saw a shining ring on her finger. I looked over at the man and saw a tattoo of a green mushroom I remembered from playing Mario brothers as a kid. I looked down at my wrist and blanched when I saw the red version on my own.

"James?" the man said and I began to cry. My head hurt so much and I couldn't place these people for the life of me. I couldn't remember anything passed my first day of freshman year.My name was finally becoming clear almost like I had yanked it from a pond full of moss. I cried harder thinking knowing I was missing time by seeing the tattoo on my wrist and these two unfamiliar faces around me.

"Call the nurse, Cassie," the man said and then I saw him clasp my hand with his own. I looked between our wrist as the woman, Cassie, ran out of the room. I looked up at the beautiful man and sniffled as he wiped the tears from my eyes.

"I-I don't know who you are," I finally cried and watched as his own eyes started to water. "I don't know who either one of you are." I looked down feeling disgusted with the fact I didn't know these people who obviously knew me and cared for me deeply. I felt so guilty as Cassie walked back in and man in a long white lab coat followed.

"James, you're up!" the man cheered. I read across his name tag.

Dr. Peterson.

"I-I can't remember anything," I said as my hand slowly retracted from the man's.

He hummed as if this was completely normal and pulled out a clipboard. "What is the last thing you remember?" he asked. I thought hard but could only muster a thick fog. I bit my lip and tried harder, watching as Cassie stepped closer and covered her mouth.