XXV: A Birthday and an Announcement

Start from the beginning

I laugh at this. With my father and mother's relationship, this wouldn't surprise me. She says he tortures her but I know she loved the over affectionate king with all her being.

She puts her shoes back on then hooks her left arm to my right, leading me to the balcony of the public courtyard where I am to make my speech. As we walk out, a flash of silver catches my peripheral vision and I slightly turn my head towards it to see that Noah is dressed in a stunning suit much so similar to mine only it was silver, and rather than having a crown adorning the top of his head, the reef worn at the castle announcement was in its place.

Beside him are the twins, and I notice a man hunched over a table tapping his quill into the inkwell already out off to the side of the balcony, likely the scribe who will be sharing his writings of our words with the press.

My mother and I come to a stop at the edge of the balcony, only the guard railing and several feet separating us from the cheering crowd gathered before us. I place my hand up, signaling silence and when the loud voices die down, I begin to speak.

"Today marks my twenty-seventh year, eighteen of which was spent preparing to take care of and taking care of this kingdom. As I mature, I begin to put many things into perspective. Every moment of you king has been truly amazing, and I'm grateful that you all have entrusted my family's line to have such a privilege.

"As I come into another year, I've decided on making a drastic change for the better of our kingdom. From this moment on, all Vile Laws are abolished, in fact they have been for some time now. Drawing on the journals of those who came before me, the wisdom from other kings and queens and even our very own nobility, I've come to realize that this was a much needed change.

"Although, I cannot lie to my people, this decision was driven more personal and selfishly. On my father's death bed, he told me of my grandfather. Told me of his male mate whom my great grandfather had murdered. I realized how much the death of someone's mate has an effect on that person, especially after seeing my mother's grief.

"Amongst these grievances, my motive is also that I've been blessed to find my own mate. He's a lycan from Gaia, someone who's grown up alongside me as he worked closely with my mother. He has changed me for the better and kept me level headed throughout this all. These past few months.

"Laws are as fragile as silence. It only takes one person to break it and change everything. My mate is that person.

"With my greatest honor I present to you your new king, Noah Matthews."

Noah stands by my side, taking my extended hand.

The crowds cheers began with our castle residence and soon they were joined by the rest of the residence.

After their cheers died down Noah spoke.

"Long live King William! May he  guide us to a prosperous time!"

The crowd all began to chant "Long live the King!" and I smiled out at them.

After the public announcement, we both move to the ball room, where the doors were open and a some peasants were gathered with gifts to offer.

As the last women came up, she had two small wolf pups trailing behind her.

"It's not much, but it's the most expensive thing we've made in the shop." she states, presenting a gorgeous necklace with a ruby necklace.

"It's gorgeous. Truly a crown gem, thank you." I reply, taking it from her marveling at it.

As I was enraptured by the gem, seeing the magical sheen to it, Noah bent before the pups, playing with them.

"Has a witch enchanted this?" I question.

"One of my darlings at the orphanage. She's one of the older ones, took up  an apprenticeship at the shop. It wards off malicious spirits. She fell ill other wise she would have delivered it personally." she explains.

"I would love to meet her. She's talented and we could always have another jeweler on hand." I tell her. "What is the name of the orphanage?"

"Hera's Grace. I'm the care taker. Mrs. Dran at your service, Your Majesty."

I questioned her about the orphanage for a few moments, intrigued by how she ran it and kept so many children fed and found them homes or apprenticeships.

"You and your husband quite dedicated to them. The kingdom needs more loving hearts like you both to brighten our future."

"Thank you, King William." Mrs. Dran replies, bowing her head. "You're mate is quite good with the little ones. Do you plan on adopting."

I turn my attention to him seeing that he is now shifted, his attire neatly stacked near the thrones as he chases around the pups. He lightly nips at their heels causing them to let out excited barks and lets them tackle him down, using his adult wolf form as a field to play in.

"We haven't much discussed that topic. I'd imagine so eventually, maybe after the tour. The necklace would be perfect to give to a daughter or son, or maybe hang over a baby's crib."

"I'll tell Mary you said that about her work, she'd be delighted. We should go back to Castelane now if we want to make it back in time for supper. Ricky! Harriet! It's time for us to go pups."

The two whined looking to Noah pleadingly but he simply nudges them back in the direction of their caretaker, watching the trio leave before trotting back behind the throne to change back into his attire.

"I have a gift for you." Noah tells me once he's finished.

"You didn't have to get me anything." I tell him.

"Of course I did. It isn't much." he pulls out a ring from his pocket.

The gems on it aren't extravagant but they are nice looking and the simplicity of it made me appreciate it more than any priceless gem could have.

"Thank you, love." I bend slightly kissing his cheek and his smile brightens as he is pleased with himself.

"Come along. Your mother invited us to see her gallery."

He grabs me by the hand and drags me off to the long hall in the North Wing that my mother has had blocked off from my prying eyes for the last year and a half.

Lining the walls are extraordinary paintings, and spaced out throughout the hall are statues from the best in our kingdom. These however aren't what took my breath away. What knocked the wind out of me was the painting at the end of the hall of me sitting by the fountain with Noah's wolf's head in my lap, the Jade gardens a backdrop with the waterfall where we first discovered we were mates peaking out in the background.

"How-? When?" I was having trouble structuring a sentence.

"When I bought that small wolf painting back in Hemming, I had the artist commission this work for me as well. I picked it up a month ago and your mother placed it here so you wouldn't see it until today. You like it?"

"Like it?" I ask incredulously. "It's magnificent. Thank you."

I embrace him in a tight hug for a few moments and once we both pull away I just look at the painting awe struck again.

If one had told me at the age of twenty-one all that has occurred in this last year in my life, I would have had them hauled off to the looney bin. However standing here now, in front of this painting that has so much meaning to me with my mate who had it commissioned by my side, I wouldn't have had it any other way.