IV: A Festival

Noah

Three days have gone by agonizingly slow, and I find myself slipping much easier now.

I've had more blackouts than I can count, and I'm so ready for this heat to be over. Not to mention the dreams. They're haunting, images of death and loss, only it's always William.

I look out at the staff before me, looking to me expectantly.

"Okay everyone the festival's first event officially begins at noon. That's when our firsts guests will be here, so we need to finish preparations quickly. I need guards around the perimeters and a few amongst the crowd incase things get too chaotic. Stable hands, take the kids on the trail on a few horses. Maids will be in charge of manning the stations outside for the children this afternoon and must shut down before dinner. As for tonight, it's the ball. Guards, you'll all be covering a much smaller portion of the castle, and I want you manning the entries and exits to the designated areas, make sure our guests don't go beyond that. Groundsmen, you are to prepare the Jade Gardens for tonight, as it is the only one available to the public, also the Sapphire Garden is to be prepped for our nobility. Chefs you'll be in charge of preparing tonight's feast for those of higher status, which isn't until eight. The butlers will be serving appetizers amongst the common crowd and a few maids may also be expected to help. Stable hands in these next few hours prep the extra stable spaces we have to the east and west of the main stables. Any questions?"

There was murmuring amongst the crowd but no one came out directly questioning the instructions given.

"Great. You're all dismissed."

I hopped off the pedestal and make a break for the stables.

It took six full hours to prepare all of the stables for the amount of steads coming in tonight and even now I doubt we're ready. The afternoon fair will be ending soon, meaning that we all have to go get in our formal uniforms to greet our guests.

"Noah! We have a problem!" Rachel tells me.

"What do you mean?"

"The Queen just told a few stable hands that we will be expected to feed all of the horses we are keeping here tonight and I just checked our stock. There's no way we have enough."

I cuss under my breath before thinking of a solution.

"Go grab as many horse carts as you can fine and a few stable hands to ride into town. Have them set up Luna and Sylvester to one of them, while I go to the Queen for the funds. Quickly!" I order.

She runs off towards the serving quarters and I run back towards the Queen's chambers, only to run straight into William.

"What has you in such a hurry?" he asks, steadying me, and pulling his hands away from my shoulders.

I missed his touch immediately and could feel the heat resurge, but the ring instantly put it to rest.

"I need money to go buy more hay for our guests horses tonight." I explain hastily, hoping to get farthest away from him as possible before Chandler attempted to take over and jump him.

He fished through his pocket and pulled out a coin sack.

"There should be enough in there. I expect you and those assisting back before sunset."

"Of course, thank you."

I sprinted back to the stables where my party had assembled and the two horses, as requested, were already prepped to pull the cart.