Part One: Chapter One

Start from the beginning

Unless my mate comes along, but humans are 50% less likely to have a mate than wolves are. It really bothered me as a kid that I wasn't the special one, but I'm happy to say I'm over it now, I've accepted it (sort of).

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆✥⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

'I have good news and bad news,' Nate tells me as I pour my cereal.

No 'good morning' or 'how are you', just straight to it.

'Oh, really? Bad news first please,' I reply and stir in the milk.

I have never understood people who ask for the good news first.

'Well, I can't explain it without good news first. So, I got you a job interview.' He grins and I nearly spit my cereal out. I hurriedly swallow and smile at him.

'No way!' 

I can't believe he's done this, I've been applying for jobs in this area for the past few weeks and I haven't heard anything.

'I know, I spoke to him this morning and he wants to meet you for an interview this afternoon,' he explains and I look at him in shock.

'This afternoon? But I've not prepared anything! What do I need to do?'

'He says you don't need to bring anything, only yourself. Basically, here's the bad news...the position is as a personal assistant for an Alpha,' he fills me in and I just stare at him.

He must be joking.

'Look, before you say no, he's serious about potentially giving you the job. No shifters have applied and they can't employ humans who don't know about us, so you're perfect! And it pays well,' he says and I sigh, leaning back against the counter.

I realise my cereal is just sat there, getting soggy, I pick up the bowl and start eating again.

'Just think about it, I wrote his phone number down, let him know if you're coming or not, the interview is at 1pm.' Nate pushes the piece of paper towards me and I eye it suspiciously.

Why would I want to work at a pack house? I'm going to look like such an outsider.

'Thanks for trying Nate,' I say gratefully and he nods.

'Right, I've got to go to sleep for my shift, I probably won't see unless we cross over tomorrow, so good luck and don't be loud and wake me up,' he jokes and I roll my eyes at him.

He leaves the kitchen and I glance down at the paper again. Any job is a job, I guess. I take a long shower and then call Alpha Damien, he seems nice enough and I agree to meet him at 1pm.

I take my time getting ready, I straighten my long, brown hair and make sure my make-up is attractive, but professional. I choose a pencil skirt with a silk blouse, finishing my look with a blazer. 

At half 12, I get into my car and put the postcode in my SatNav. It only takes me ten minutes to arrive at the daunting, metal gates surrounding the forest of the Eastern Mountain Pack. I pull up to them and press the button on the control pad.

'Identification?' A gruff voice sounds out and I clear my throat.

'Um, I have an interview with Alpha Damien at 1pm.'

'Name?'

'Myra Archer.' 

I wait patiently for a moment and the gate starts to open.

Guess that's the end of our conversation, then.

I slowly drive along the road that weaves through the trees. It stretches for about a mile before the trees thin and a huge clearing appears. Dozens of buildings are nestled inside, hidden by the trees' canopy.