Chapter 6

After I dropped Lauren off, I went straight home. Already, I was thinking of everything I needed to do to make sure our date tomorrow would be perfect.

Once I had parked my car, I got out and crossed the street. I was just about to the door of my apartment complex when I heard a voice.

"Hey!"

I knew they must have been talking to me; there was nobody else around. I turned and saw Jackson stalking across the street towards me. He looked angry.

Did he follow me home...?

"Something I can help you with?" I responded politely. I'll admit, he did make me a little nervous, but I was determined to stand my ground.

  He came right up to me and, quicker than I could react to, he spun me around and slammed me face first into the brick wall, wrenching my arm behind my back. I let out a yelp of pain, but not just from the force of him pushing me into a wall. Something on the inside of my coat was digging painfully into my side, but I wasn't bothering to question what it was while I was basically being attacked.

  "Yeah. Do me a favor and stay away from Lauren," he growled.

  Then, just as quick as he had come, he let me go. I turned around to argue, but Jackson was already gone. I simply stood there, baffled by what the heck had just happened.

  I didn't stand out there for long, though. A little paranoid that Jackson might come back, I quickly went inside and to my apartment, making sure to lock the door behind me. Immediately, I went to the bathroom to see if I had any marks.

  Sure enough, I saw in the mirror that my one cheek had gotten scraped on the rough brick. That was probably going to bruise. I sighed and took off my glasses, setting them on the edge of the sink. The one lens had gotten cracked from the impact of the wall. Thankfully, I had a spare set. They were an older, weaker prescription, but they would do until I could get my regular glasses fixed.

  Then, I suddenly remembered that something had been hurting my side, inside my coat. I reached into the inside pocket, pulling out a small pocket knife. My eyes widened.

  I did not remember putting that in my coat.

  "That's because I did."

  I looked up, surprised to see him as my reflection instead of...well, me. I set the knife down beside my glasses, then looked back to him, horrified.

  "Why did you put a pocket knife in my coat?!" I whispered furiously. Not that there was anyone around to hear me, anyway.

  He merely shrugged, flashing that smug smile of his. I've wanted to smack that grin off his face so many times.

  "Self defense. I mean, this is Gotham."

  "How am I supposed to defend myself with a knife I don't even know I have?"

  "Well, you wouldn't be the one to use it obviously. You're not even capable of throwing a decent punch."

  "Are you honestly telling me that you were going to use it if the situation arose?"

  "What's wrong with that? You can't defend yourself, so it only makes sense that I would be the one to--"

  "No. I've told you, I am never giving you control."

  He threw his hands up in the air, letting out an irritated growl.

  "Well, what else am I supposed to do? Just sit here in the passenger seat while you and little miss redhead do the dirty?"

My eyes widened. I couldn't believe he just said that. I felt my cheeks inadvertently heat up and I only felt worse as I saw him smirk at me.

  "You did not just--"

  "Oh, but I did," he sneered, crossing his arms over his chest victoriously. He and I both knew he was winning this battle. He knew just what to say to get under my skin and I felt powerless against him.

  I turned around, away from the mirror, away from him, but he was still talking. I covered my ears, hoping to block him out, but that just seemed to make his voice louder.

  "Don't deny it. I know you. I know what you really want."

  "Shut up," I whispered, shutting my eyes as tight as I could.

  "You know that I'm right. You want her. You want her so bad, you can barely stand it."

  "That's not true..."

  I heard him let out a cold, heartless laugh and it felt like the room was closing in on itself. No way to escape, to escape from him.

  "Oh, but you know what the funny thing is? Lauren doesn't even like you."

  "No, she does, she--"

  "Does she? Or does she just feel sorry for you? Just like everyone else?"

  "Stop..." I hardly even registered that I had fallen to my knees. My chest felt tight, like it was getting hard to breathe.

  "Oh, come on, wake up!!" He yelled, making me flinch. "Can't you see? Nobody likes you! Gordon, Essen, Lauren, even your parents! They're all pretending!"

  "They wouldn't!" I shouted back, hating the way my voice cracked. He would know I was breaking. I don't think it mattered, though. He knew exactly what to say to tear me down.

  "Why else would they be so nice to you? News flash! Because they pity you!" He was shouting nonstop now and I felt like my head was going to burst. "What with your weird wordplay and awkward nature and all those blasted riddles! How could anyone like you, let alone love you?!"

  "Stop it!!" I cried out.

  I couldn't stop the building tears from slipping down my face. I couldn't stop the sob that escaped my throat. I couldn't stop myself from collapsing on my bathroom floor, in utter and complete defeat. He had beat me down until I caved. I could practically see that triumphant grin on his face, hear his condescending laugh echoing in my ears.

  But now, it was completely silent. He had gotten what he wanted. He had broken me. He had won. What reason would he have to stay?

  For hours, I stayed there, curled in on myself on the floor while the only sound I could hear were my own heaving sobs.

--------------------------------------------------
awww i need to give ed a hug :'(

i felt the need to do an angsty chapter and i'm super happy with out it turned out☺️

(i'm sorry lol)

i hope y'all liked it!

lemme know what you thought💚