➟ Chapter Twenty-Two

You and Vincent were on your computers for hours using your skills to prepare the last part of the plan. You sat in the warehouse and kept surveillance on everything going on around Gotham and the two boats preparing to potentially blow with diesel fuel and nitrate. Vincent was making sure that the communication in the ships didn't work while you watched the activity in Prewitt Building where The Joker was and Batman's radar.

You and Joker spent days getting hostages to tie up in the building to confuse the Gotham Police Department and, hopefully, they fell for it. You heard on the scanner the S.W.A.T. teams being called in and it made you smile wider than you already were. If all went to plan, Batman would be in for the shock of his life, and if not, you weren't sure what would happen.

"Are you worried?" Vincent asked as he furiously typed away on his keyboard.

"Why would I be?" you responded, shifting your gaze from the different computer screens.

"Because of Joker being by himself in so much danger," Vincent elaborated. "He has such a high chance of being caught that I'm worried."

"If he fucks up, I'll have his back," you said with conviction, watching as Batman arrived and began to cause havoc.

You took out your phone and called Joker. It rang once before he picked up.

"Batman's on his way up," you informed.

"Perfect," Joker replied. "When will your arrival be?"

"Ten minutes. Don't destroy too much before I get there," you answered teasingly, shutting off the monitors and loading your pistol.

"Wouldn't dream of it."

You hung up and led Victor to the roof of the warehouse where the helicopter was waiting, passing your other top guys on the way and they wished you luck. Victor got into the pilot's seat while you took the back and soon took off into the dark sky. There was obvious commotion around Prewitt when you arrived and camera crews and civilians lined the streets.

Meanwhile, Joker was beating Batman to a pulp with a metal pipe as Batman struggled under him. He thought of how Batman had left you to die in that hallway and it only caused him to become more vicious in his attack. Batman pushed him off and Joker stumbled back but then swung the pipe to slam in to Batman's head, causing Batman to fall backwards on the edge of the building.

Joker kneeled over him and held the steel frame and pipe to Batman's throat as he waited for the explosion of the ships to happen, but it didn't come, only angering Joker.

"What were you trying to prove? That everyone's as ugly as you?" Batman sneered. "You're alone."

Joker threw the pipe as rage overcame him and snagged out the detonator from his pocket. "That's okay; I came prepared," he said. "It's a funny world we live in. Speaking of which--do you know how I got these scars?"

"No, but I know how you got these," Batman said, grabbing the front of Joker's coat and tossing him over the edge of the building.

The helicopter landed on the pad of the building and you hurried out to get to where Joker was. You had your pistol out and continued down the stairs, but when you reached the floor, your heart twisted in your chest. You witnessed in petrification as Joker flipped over off the side of the building and began plummeting toward the ground.

You ran over, your body shaking, but you felt relief when Batman jumped up and used a device to latch onto Joker's ankle and pull him back up. You snuck up behind Batman just as he tied the end on the frame and pressed the gun to his head.

"Since you saved him, I'll give you the option to run now or get your head blown off. Option A or option B. Your pick," you whispered, looking only at Batman.

Almost a minute passed and Batman realized he had no way of getting out of this, considering your skill set. Either way, you were going to get away.

"A," he muttered in defeat.

You took a step back and followed him with your gun as he stood and exited the scene, but you waited until he was off the floor before stuffing the pistol in your pants and reaching out to Joker.

"Are you okay?" you asked, gripping his coat and pulling him onto the platform with all your strength.

"What the hell are you doing? The cops are going to be here any second; get out of here," Joker hissed as he laid on his back.

You quickly took out your blade and cut the thick rope from his ankle. "Never. I would never leave you behind," you promised, putting the knife back and helping him up. "Let's get out of here."

Joker nodded. You took his hand and ran as soon as you heard the multiple patterings of feet on the ground as the S.W.A.T. team hurried up the stairs. You made it to the helicopter in the knick of time and hopped into the back, then Victor took off.

With the amount of noise, you couldn't say anything until you got back to the warehouse. It was a nice view over the city to enjoy on the way and you kept as close to Joker as you could as you thought of how you almost lost him. It was dreadful, even if it only lasted a few seconds.

Victor landed on the roof of the warehouse and you and Joker wasted no time in getting inside to get to your bedroom. Victor gestured to the henchmen to remain silent as you passed and they thankfully listened.

"The scratch on your cheek," you said once the bedroom's door was shut. You went over to the closet and retrieved a first aid kit, then set it on the bed. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Just my face again," Joker complained as he discarded his coat and unbuttoned his waistcoat.

"That Batboy is such an asshole," you growled vehemently, wanting nothing more than to drive a knife through his eye and tear the skin from his face.

You both stripped out of your clothing and went to take a shower together. For the most part, it was silent because the only thing you wanted to do was revel in Joker's presence. You cared about him so deeply and intimately that losing him would have drove you to a new level of madness.

"I'm here," he had whispered to you as he rubbed a hand up and down your naked back.

You were grateful for the small things and little words he mumbled to you throughout that night. It was the reassurance that you were in it until the end and Joker would be glued to you through every twist and turn. Although, there was so much still to come and that specific end was nowhere in sight.