“Our first opponent in the championship league is Senshinkan.” Hyuuga announced to the team, with the match line-ups for the championship league having just been announced that day. “We’ve lost to them twice already.” Hyuuga’s left eye twitched even as he recalled their two continuous defeats to that team. “Let’s win this time!”

“Yeah!”

Tamaki who had been particularly silent the entire trip ever since they have left the school approached Kagami. The two freshmen have been at the rear of the group, and thus, no one else noticed this small action.

“Kagami-kun.” Kagami turned over his shoulder to look down at the smaller girl. “Do you have some time now?” 

* * * * 

“So what do you want?” Kagami asked nearly an hour later as the two friends gathered at the street basketball court near Tamaki’s house. The redhead watched Tamaki pull out a basketball from within her bag, pulling off her jacket and letting it fall atop her bag. “Calling me out here all of a sudden.”

“Nothing much.” Tamaki answered even as she straightened up to face Kagami. “It’s just… Will you help me practice my new drive?” She asked.

Kagami was taken aback at this sudden request. Out of the entire team, he was the only one who knew that Tamaki had been staying back nearly every night to train on her new technique. He doesn’t exactly know what this new technique is, only that his partner had developed this technique to deal with the Generation of Miracles. 

“What the hell? You still haven’t finished that?” Kagami demanded.

Tamaki made a small noise in her throat. “I’ve done everything on my own,” she answered, holding the basketball with both hands. “I just need you to help me perfect it.”

Kagami grinned at that, a smirk curling at the ends of his lips as he got what Tamaki wanted. “I get it. Sure.” The redhead then dropped his bag down on the ground, also stripping off his jacket. “Bring it on.” 

The two of them then got into position, with Kagami taking on a defensive position in front of the basketball hoop. The redhead narrowed his eyes as he eyed Tamaki. Her clear blue eyes showed clear determination even as she locked eyes with him. Then, his red eyes widened in shock when one moment, Tamaki is in front of him, and the next, she is gone. 

‘Amazing…’ Kagami breathed, unable to believe his eyes. ‘If she can pull this off, it really will be an unstoppable drive.’

There was the sound of a light thud just then, and Kagami looked down at his feet only to see the basketball rolling towards his foot. Tamaki looked bewildered, looking at her right hand in slight confusion upon realising that she had lost hold of the ball.

“Eh?”

“Don’t give me that!” Kagami shouted, turning towards Tamaki, with the smaller girl not feeling intimidated in the least. “Done everything, my ass! You lost the ball!”

Inwardly, Kagami was slightly confused however. In all his time of knowing Tamaki, she had never once lost the ball. Part of her skills as a passing specialist is a good pass sense, and also observation skills. The ball is the central part of a game, and thus, Tamaki’s attention will always be on the ball.

“I lost the ball.” Tamaki mumbled, and Kagami twitched.

“I just said that!” Kagami twitched, grabbing hold of the ball with his right hand. He then paused as the ball felt strangely smooth in his hand, and he then examined the ball carefully only to realise that the leather had been mostly worn off. ‘It’s so smooth.’ He realised. ‘Well, it doesn’t take long for this to happen when you use a basketball outside. But…’ He looked at Tamaki, passing the ball into her waiting hands. ‘I can’t believe she did this just over the summer.’