We Are Friends

“But if you can’t tell the truth to the people you care about the most, eventually, you stop being able to tell the truth to yourself.” - Ogiwara Shigehiro

* * * *

There is never anyone that Kuroko Tamaki hates or even detests as much as Akashi Shinichi. Not even Haizaki Shougo and Hanamiya Makoto have the privilege to hold that position.

After all, even before Akashi had kicked Haizaki off the Teiko basketball team, while Tamaki and Haizaki have never been particularly close, they are still friends in a way. Given the fact that Tamaki had been the vice-captain of the basketball team then, she had been the one to arrange the tryouts for all those trying for the team after they have established their new varsity team back in first year. Haizaki had been one of the first ones to try out for the team, and while his attitude grates on their nerves, no one can deny that the gray haired teen had talent.

But even still, not even Haizaki or Hanamiya has ever caused Kuroko Tamaki to detest them like how one Akashi Shinichi did.

Even as a small child, Tamaki had never liked her uncle. There is just something about him that makes her uneasy. And with the way that he treats her cousin and her aunt, that dislike only grew. Tamaki had wondered at one time if it is due to Akashi’s treatment at his father’s hands that caused him to be how he is. Hence, when her Aunt Yuki finally decided that she had enough, and had then decided to file for divorce, there had been a part of Tamaki that had been happy.

And now, nearly two years after Akashi Shinichi had vanished off the face of the earth, all the dislike and resentment that Tamaki had carried for the man came rushing back at once as she watched her aunt argue with her ex-husband, clearly unaware of Tamaki’s presence. 

The teal haired girl ducked behind a lamppost quickly as she continued spying on the two. She knows that it isn’t right, and it isn’t good manners to eavesdrop on someone’s conversation. After all, she didn’t like it back then when Kagami-kun had eavesdropped on the conversation that she had with Kise-kun after the Seirin versus Kaijou’s practice match. But still, there is something telling her that it is important to at least find out what Akashi Shinichi wants with her aunt. Whatever it is, it isn’t bound to be anything good. It never is whenever it concerns her cousin’s bastard of a father. 

Akashi Shinichi seemed unfazed by his ex-wife’s anger. “Come on, I’m sure that you have the means,” he drawled even as Kuroko Yuki seethed in anger, the angry red flush of her face already nearly red enough to match that of her hair. “After all, your little restaurant seems to be doing quite well if it can be mentioned by famous gourmet magazines.”

Aunt Yuki looked angry enough to start spitting fire. “I should have expected it!” she hissed at Akashi Shinichi venomously. Even this is the first time that Tamaki had seen her aunt so angry, and she was almost afraid for a moment. Now she knows where her cousin got his temper from. “After all these years, you hadn’t changed one bit!”

“Come on, Yuki. After all, we were married once. Will you be this heartless to just leave me in the lurch?” Shinichi smirked at Yuki. “I’m a man of my word. If you help me out, I’ll leave you and Seijurou in peace from now on. You’ll never see me again. Of course, that is only if you help me out.”

“Yes, if I pay you!” Yuki hissed venomously. “Have you no shame? You’re asking me to pay you for Sei, your own son! How low and shameless could you be?”

“I can be a lot more than that if you don’t give me what I want.” Akashi Shinichi’s voice turned dark. “You know what I’m capable of. And if it gives you any incentive, how about Tamaki?” Yuki’s once angry eyes widened a fraction in terror. “Surely you won’t want any ‘accident’ to befall her, right?”