Discovery

As I wake up later with a throbbing headache and a nasty temper, I look up to meet my sire's eyes. "Why on earth do I have a twin?" I snarl at my sire angrily as soon as my eyes meet his.

"How..." his gruff voice trails off at my angry glare. "She was born as a human. Your dam and I did not want her to go through the struggles of being the wolf-less daughter of an Alpha," he explains quietly once everyone but Jasper and Lúna have left the room.

"And you never thought to mention this, even when I took over?" I snap, letting my mood reflect in my eyes. "We didn't want to give you the pain of knowing that you had an estranged twin sister." He sighs, rubbing his large, weathered hand over his balding head.

"I had the right to know. You know that she is my only hope of ever being able to bear pups for my mate." I huff as I sit up, leaning against the plump pillows.

"She doesn't know about us. We gave her to a human family that your dam was close with before she shifted for the first time." My sire tells me, answering my silent question. "I want to meet her." I state firmly.

"What about the Hunters? You can't leave your pack here, unguarded." My sire argues.
"You're here. Brandon, my new Beta, still respects you, as do the rest of the Warriors and Delta's. The younger pups won't remember you, but you can still hold your own against them." I raise an eyebrow challengingly.

"Fine. She lives in San Jose. You'll be able to sniff her out when you get there." He stands up and leaves the room, gently shutting the door behind him. I turn and look at Jasper and Lúna.

"Want to go visit the big city?" I ask them with a grin. They eye each other silently, before nodding at me excitedly. "Road trip!" I laugh gaily as I get out of bed, ignoring my headache as we walk out of the room to get ready.

It doesn't take long for Jasper, Lúna and I to get ready, and as soon as Brandon is informed, we leave. "But what about the Hunter?" Brandon protests. My hand stills on the car door handle.

"If they haven't already mated, tell them to go do so. It will create an alliance between his group and our pack. And tell my mate what has happened when he wakes up. Make sure to make him wait for a few days before he races after us. I'll need some alone time with my twin."

He sighs and nods, watching us drive away. The trip itself takes three days (since we stop at motels along the way). Luckily we don't pass through many pack territories along the way, but when we do the Alpha doesn't care. At the end of the third day we finally make it to San Jose.

"I hate those metal deathtraps." Lúna mutters as she races out of the spacious 4x4. I laugh, shaking my head as I get out, pulling on my sunglasses. Staring out at the Penitencia Creek Park, I close my eyes and breathe in all the scents around me.

"Wouldn't it be easier to track her when you're a wolf?" Jasper asks quietly, keeping close to me. "Yes, but you both are too young to do it, and it's less obvious if I remain in this form in a human city. Besides, this is a good time for you both to learn how to track as a human." I grin.

"Can I please change? I don't like this form as much." Lúna pouts, making me sigh. Searching for any people around, I nod and a few seconds later Lúna jumps out of the 4x4 and lands by my side, sitting on her haunches and sticking her tongue out happily.

"Have you found her scent yet?" Jasper asks after a few silent minutes. "My sire said she visited this park everyday at this time, so her scent will be faint." I murmur, frowning. Suddenly, her scent overwhelms me, and I snap my head over to see a curvaceous lady that looks exactly like me kissing a man that is not our mate on the cheek

A low growl rumbles in my throat as I glare at him. Lúna whines and nudges my clawed hand with her wet nose. I relax and regain full control, before taking my sunglasses off and motioning for Jasper and Luna to follow me.

"Good morning, are you Mariah Smith?" I ask, hiding my smirk as she pulls away from the human and turns to look at me. As she takes me in her eyesbrows raise in disbelief. "Yes, I am. Who are you?" She takes a step towards me, but the male human grabs her arm and pulls her back towards him.

"Yes, who are you?" He asks curiously, with a hint of rudeness hiding at the back of his tone. "If you and I could talk in private please?" I ignore him, keeping my eyes on my twin. "Whatever you need to say, you can say it to the both of us. You're a total stranger." The human snaps, and Jasper grabs my arm as a low rumble starts in my chest.

"Are you her husband?" I ask, crossing my arms under my chest and raising my eyebrows. "No, he's not." My twin shakes her head and pulling away from him slightly. "Well then." I smirk at him. "Mariah, is there somewhere more private that we can talk?" I ask.

"First, tell me your name please?" She asks hesitantly. "Shariah Winter." I smile and shake her hand. "I'm your twin sister." Her eyes widen in surprise again. "Richard, I think you should go." She instructs him, and he grumbles but when she glares at him he leaves. "My house is just across the street. You can bring your son and your dog with you inside." She turns and leads us across the road.

Jasper and I sit down on a comfy couch in front of an empty fireplace as Mariah starts pacing in front of us. "My mum and dad - well, the people who took care of me - told me that my family died." She turns and frowns at me.

"That was probably our si- our fathers doing." I sigh, stroking Lúna's fur absentmindedly. "Jasper, could you please take Lúna out the back. Mariah and I will need to talk in private." He nods and leads her through the double glass doors onto the small lawn out back.

"I didn't know you existed until a few days ago." I start, glancing down at my clenched hands.
"How did you find out?" She asks curiously, obviously accepting what I am saying
"You wouldn't believe me if I told you." I laugh sardonically.

"Try me."
"Remember, you asked for this." I warn her before calling Jasper and Lúna back inside.
"Yes?" He crouches next to his sister, his long fingers planted in her thick midnight black pelt.

"Change." I command, my emotions mixed. He frowns but retracts his hand and leans forward, a large black wolf yearling taking his place. Mariah gasps and jumps away from us, rubbing her eyes. "Lúna, do the same."

She acquiesces and soon she stands up on two feet, her loose grey shirt and black skinny jeans coming into view.
"I can do that too, but I think their appearances will be less frightening for you." I turn and face my sister nervously.

She stares at us silently, fear warring with disbelief in eyes so similar to my own that it causes a physical ache as her eyes meet mine. As soon as her gaze connects with mine, our minds connect and I stumble backwards in surprise as her thoughts and emotions join with mine.

She clutches her head in pain.

This is weird...